In a press release to be distributed today, the Department of Public Safety has announced that it will undergo a national accreditation assessment from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies.

A team of CALEA assessors will spend the next few weeks examining the department’s policies, procedures and operations to verify that the department has voluntarily met the commission’s established set of more than 400 professional standards.

If the assessors conclude that DPS meets their standards, the University will be the first school in the Big Ten to receive this national accreditation.

“Accreditation is a highly prized recognition of law enforcement professional excellence,” DPS Executive Director Ken Magee said in the press release.

DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said the department has spent the past year reviewing, revising and, in some cases, creating policies and procedures to meet the various standards required by the commission to achieve accreditation.

Brown said the assessors will not only look at the department’s book of policies, but will also go through files that show proof of how the department has fulfilled the requirements.

After the CALEA assessors complete their review, they will bring their findings to the full commission, which will then decide whether or not DPS will be accredited.

“By achieving accreditation, it will affirm the highly professional work that the staff has been doing for several years,” Brown said. “And it will add, for some people, another degree of credibility to those efforts.”

In addition to verifying that DPS has met the requirements, the team of assessors will conduct interviews with members of the department and solicit comments from University staff, faculty, students and other members of the community.

A public information session is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Feb. 2 in the Kipke Conference Center, located within the Campus Safety Services Building on Kipke Drive, to fulfill the public comment portion of the assessment.

Individuals who are unable to attend the public session are encouraged to call (734) 615-8886 on Feb. 2 between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

According to the press release, “Telephone comments as well as appearances at the public information session are limited to 10 minutes and must address the agency’s ability to comply with CALEA’s standards.”