On Saturday, University Police arrested the man believed to be responsible for the sexual assault in East Quad Residence Hall on Oct. 30.

Adam Hester, a 24-year-old Canton resident who is unaffiliated with the University, was charged today with fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct and eight other charges for crimes that occurred on campus in the past 13 months.

Hester is being charged with three felonies, three high court misdemeanors and four misdemeanors. The police allege that Hester committed a litany of crimes, such as photographing an individual in a campus bathroom stall, indecently exposing himself on three occasions, stealing a laptop in October 2010 and stealing an iPod in March 2011.

Hester faces serious penalties resulting from sentencing enhancements. Under Michigan law, “sexually delinquent persons” who commit indecent exposure face a minimum prison sentence of one day and a maximum sentence of life in prison. Hester’s bail is set at $100,000.

On Saturday, a Department of Public Safety officer arrested Hester after a student reported that she was grabbed inside of Angell Hall. The student — who Hester videotaped without permission — then identified the assailant, who reportedly resisted arrest. DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said he “didn’t get very far.”

DPS connected Hester with the additional crimes through the stolen property in his possession. A video camera in Hester’s possession had recordings he made of the three indecent exposure incidents and the sexual assault.

“As a result of the subsequent investigation, we were able to obtain enough evidence for all of these other charges to be authorized by the prosecutor’s office,” Brown said.

“Our investigation continues, so there might be some more charges,” she added. “It will depend on what he is convicted of, and then it will depend on what the judge decides to sentence as a result of those convictions.”

Hester’s preliminary hearing will occur on Nov. 23.

DPS was notified of the sexual assault on Nov. 1 but withheld the information from East Quad residents until Nov. 10. Brown said DPS refrained from sending a crime alert about the incident because they did not perceive a continued threat. Residents were eventually notified so they could help identify the suspect, but many of them were troubled by the delay.