“Dogg After Dark”
Tuesdays at 9 p.m.
MTV

Though Snoop Dogg was once a prominent pop culture figure boasting a successful career as a rap star and even making surprising strides in acting and producing, it’s clear that his days as an A-list celebrity are over. Unfortunately, Snoop refuses to slip into the abyss without a fight and feels compelled to produce MTV’s “Dogg After Dark.”

The series is part talk show, part sketch comedy, part musical showcase and completely terrible. For a half hour, Snoop Dogg walks around a club, makes awkward small-talk with tabloid figures, fails at making offensive subjects funny and holds musical performances with the worst sound quality imaginable. During this time, he desperately tries to convince viewers he’s still relevant by thrusting his celebrity friendships into the spotlight.

The show promises interviews with celebrities, but those interviews end up as nothing more than Snoop Dogg standing next to someone famous assuring everyone how tight they are and making his “subject” visibly uncomfortable. When the victims of these “interviews” do speak, it’s inaudible, due to the fact the show is hosted in a club and the sound crew apparently sucks at its job. During the rare occasions where it’s possible to determine what people are saying, the conversations are boring and irrelevant.

The awful setup of the interviews could possibly have been remedied by Snoop Dogg getting more prominent guests. But no one wants to hear Paris Hilton freestyle rap or listen to Spencer and Heidi of “The Hills” pretend to argue so Snoop Dogg can play marriage counselor.

But the conversations with Snoop Dogg’s celebrity friends aren’t even the worst part of the show. Snoop attempts to humorize somewhat sensitive issues and simultaneously showcase his not-so-noteworthy acting skills through short comedy skits during the show. The skits are drawn out to a ridiculous length and Snoop Dogg’s acting is completely dreadful. The sketches lose all possible humor and, as a result, those that were meant to satirize racial stereotypes and the objectification of women just end up perpetuating these negative generalizations.

The premiere of “Dogg After Dark” ended with musical performances by Pharrell Williams and Kid Cudi. It was impossible to tell if these performances were any good because the sound was again mostly inaudible. It shouldn’t be crazy to assume a show produced by a successful musician would not only have decent sound quality, but would also have a respectable theme song rather than the repetition of the three title words in varying order to Kenny G-style saxophone music. Snoop is visibly — and audibly — losing his touch.

Snoop Dogg’s quest to reclaim his relevance produces what could only be called a complete mess. Evidence of low production value is seen in everything from the terrible (or sheer lack of) writing to the shoddy technical execution. If “Dogg After Dark” succeeds as a show, it’s only because audiences are mesmerized by how terrible television programming can be.