Saturday marked the first meeting between No. 13 Michigan women’s tennis team and No. 11 Texas A&M since the Wolverines eliminated the Aggies from the NCAA Tournament last season.

The Aggies got the revenge they wanted, defeating the Wolverines, 4-3.

“We were disappointed,” said Michigan coach Ronni Bernstein. “We knew we definitely had a shot there at the end and we couldn’t come through.”

Disappointment was the name of the game for the Wolverines. Michigan (5-3) spent its day trying to claw back after giving up the doubles point, 2-1, to Texas A&M (5-1). After getting off to a hot start in the beginning of the year, conceding doubles points has become a bit of an issue for the Wolverines. In singles play, though, dominant sophomore Sarah Lee took immediate control of her match at No. 3. She swept her opponent in a quick 6-1, 6-1 victory, tying the overall score at one.

Sophomore Emina Bektas, on the contrary, had her hands full against the nation’s fifth-ranked player, senior Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar. Bektas couldn’t do much, falling 6-3, 6-3 to Sanchez-Quintanar. The Wolverines continued to drop matches after frustrated junior Brooke Bolender was defeated by senior Wen Sun in a hard-fought match, 7-5, 7-5. With the win, the Aggies increased their advantage to 3-1.

Freshman Ronit Yurovsky was then able to draw upon her own opponent’s frustration to pull out a win. After Texas A&M’s Cristina Stancu ended the fifth game of the third set with a double fault, Yurovsky finished strong. Fired up and playing fervid, Yurovsky shouted, “Come on!” and blasted an ace passed Stancu to claim a 5-7, 6-2, 6-0 triumph.

With two matches remaining, the Aggies led 3-2 over Michigan. It was now up to senior Mimi Nguyen and freshman Amy Zhu, competing simultaneously, to try and generate a last-minute turnaround for the Wolverines. Both players won their first set and lost the second. Zhu, getting a lot of attention from the crowd, tied it up 2-2 in the third set after going down 2-0. Showing no signs of slowing, she drank a couple cups of water and stepped right back on court between breaks.

Meanwhile, Nguyen steadily worked her opponent as she tied up the third set, 5-5. But she couldn’t get the edge. After a terrific volley, Nguyen’s opponent hit a ball just out of her reach, causing Nguyen to dink one into the net to lose 7-5 in the third.

Even though the Aggies clinched the win over Michigan after Nguyen’s defeat, Zhu never lost her focus. With Bernstein by her side and a thunderous war cry from Zhu, she buried her opponent, 6-3, in the third set to clinch a victory of her own.

Bernstein was impressed with Zhu’s composure and the continued improvement she has shown throughout the year. She said Zhu’s victory is indicative of the mentality they wish to uphold.

“At the end of the day, we just want to compete hard everywhere, and I think we did that,” Bernstein said. “Win or lose, that’s what we’re all about.”

Michigan has had a tough stretch in recent weeks, taking on Top-25 opponents in five of its seven dual matches to date, and it doesn’t end there. The Wolverines will take on No. 14 Texas on Sunday, Feb. 24. Michigan is currently 3-3 against ranked foes.