Anyone who goes on a first date with someone will be familar with first date jitters. These anxieties are often compounded with the pressure of the all-too common trip to the video store. Then the real panic sets in. What if he thinks that your choice is too sappy, and you refuse to sit through any of the Jackie Chan movies?
Here are the top five date movies that bridge the gender gap.
5. “Armageddon” This is one of the few space-oriented movies which girls will truly enjoy. In addition to an all-star cast, Armageddon incorporates a save-the-world plot with a good romance story involving (sigh) Ben Affleck.
4. “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” A favorite of both sexes, IJLC is a fun adventure film which stars a relatively younger Harrison Ford and is guaranteed to keep both people engaged in the plot, and short of breath until Indy has the Holy Grail.
3. “Forrest Gump” Winner of multiple Oscars, this movie recommends itself with Tom Hank”s mentally challenged character who meets JFK, serves in Vietnam, falls in love with a hippie, and becomes the captain of a shrimp boat, to name a few of Forrest”s exploits. “Stupid is as stupid does” if you do not watch this one.
2. “The Waterboy” Generally, any of Adam Sandler”s movies (with the exception of “Big Daddy” and “Little Nicky”) are uncontested winners. The humor is not crude or vulgar, but still manages to be funny. This one in particular makes the grade due to its abundance of running gags, like the one about the Devil creating everything. Also, “The Waterboy” is one of Sandler”s most creative roles.
1. “My Best Friend”s Wedding” Guys may balk at the title, but this is definitely one of the few “chick flicks” that they will actually like. This is due to the fact that almost anyone can identify with the Julia Robert”s character”s problem. She has been best friends with a guy forever, and then wakes up morning only to discover that she is in love with him. The complications are a bit predictable, but at the same time hilarious, especially when Roberts pretends that she is engaged to her gay friend.