Executives, coaches and players from the Detroit Tigers are speaking Thursday at the University about two staples of American life: business and baseball.

The event will be held at Rackham Graduate School at 1:20 p.m. tomorrow, with doors opening at 12:45 p.m.

Noted speakers include David Dombrowski, president, CEO and general manager of the Tigers, players Jeff Larish and Gerald Laird, bullpen coach Jeff Jones, radio broadcaster Dan Dickerson and others who work for the Tigers with in finance, communications, human resources and ticket and corporate sales.

Martha Reck, a University adviser who helped plan the event, said the speakers will focus on the business aspects of baseball, as well as the future of the sports business amid new technology and the current economy.

“It will be very helpful for people who are going into the sports business or even business in general,” she said.

Jordan Field, a University alum and director of the Detroit Tigers Foundation, was also involved in planning the event. He said in addition to creating excitement for baseball season, the event could help foster new leaders in the sports industry from the University.

“It allows us to help teach and train future leaders in the industry,” Field said. He added that students will have an opportunity to network with the Tigers executives speaking at the event.

“Generally getting a foot in the door is very competitive,” he said. “Often it takes perfect timing and some good luck, but there are things you can do to increase your chances.”

Students who attend are encouraged to bring their résumés to apply for summer internships with the Tigers at the organization’s headquarters in Detroit. Reck said positions are available in marketing, public relations, facility management and park operations.

The event is one of 30 stops for the 2009 Detroit Tigers Winter Caravan, an annual bus tour that stops at hospitals, schools and events in Michigan and Ohio to promote the Tigers.

According to a press release, the caravan consists of Tigers players, coaches and broadcasters who will spend two days traveling by bus and “spreading baseball fever to fans of all ages.”

“We’re excited to continue our unique tradition of bringing Tigers’ players and coaches into the communities and hometowns of our fans,” Elaine Lewis, Tigers’ vice president of community affairs, said in the press release.