DETROIT (AP) — The host committee for Super Bowl 2006 at Ford Field is planning to shine a light on some of the downtown’s architectural treasures in an effort to make it as attractive as possible for the 100,000-plus visitors.

Special lighting for the historic Detroit Athletic Club, as well as the Renaissance Center and other downtown skyscrapers will illuminate the area the week of the NFL championship game. Organizers also are considering using giant screens to show the game to those on the outside.

Planners also are designing permanent kiosks to help visitors find their way around the downtown, the Detroit Free Press said yesterday.

Organizers say they know it would be counterproductive to cover up the downtown’s dead zones and areas of vacant and abandoned structures.

“It’s got to be not only authentically Detroit, but we also want to be authentic,” said Bob Buckler, president of DTE Energy Distribution and head of a subcommittee of the Detroit Super Bowl XL Host Committee that is planning the lighting effects. “We’re pushing for things that are real, that will last, that are not insubstantial.

“We want to use this as a catalyst for change.”

Details of the plan are being released today at a meeting of the civic group Detroit Downtown Inc.

Detroit Super Bowl organizers are planning an $11-million preparation program leading up to the Feb. 5, 2006 game.

The Detroit Super Bowl host committee sent about 120 people to Jacksonville, Fla., to observe the 2005 Super Bowl.

The Detroit-area’s Tourism Economic Development Council in January unveiled an ad campaign, which features the slogan, “The world is coming — get in the game.”