As reported by the FBI earlier this week, Detroit had the highest rate of murder and violent crimes in 2013.

Four offenses are categorized as violent crime in the report: murder, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault. Out of Detroit’s 699,889 residents, there were 14,504 reported violent crimes, or 2,072 violent crimes per 100,000 people. Three hundred and sixteen of those crimes were murders, which is approximately 45 murders per 100,000 people. In contrast, Ann Arbor, with a population of 116,799, saw 247 violent crimes in 2013, three of which were murders.

Overall, however, violent crime fell in the city and across the nation. The estimated number of violent crimes in the U.S. decreased by 4.1 percent, while the estimated number of violent crimes in Detroit decreased by 3 percent. Murders fell by 18 percent in Detroit and by 4.4 percent nationwide.

Despite high crime rates in Detroit, some University students and student groups working in Detroit say these statistics will not change their view of the city, mainly because Detroit’s crime issues are not new to them.

LSA freshman Melissa Ramirez, who was born in Detroit and has family in the city, said these statistics did not change her perspective of Detroit and she will continue to visit family.

“Because I already knew it was kind of a dangerous place, I don’t think this has changed my perception,” she said. “The crime is kind of why we left in the first place but we still go visit almost every weekend.”

Members of Crowd 313 — a student organization focused on bringing students to Detroit for various cultural events and exposing them to cultural and economic aspects of the city — said statistics like these have motivated them to show students that Detroit is still a place worth visiting.

“Crime is a big city phenomenon, it has obvious correlations to less affluent areas,” said Architecture sophomore Olivia Howard, a Crowd 313 member. “It doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone is more likely to encounter crime if they go to Detroit and I don’t think it makes the culture any less rich or the communities any less strong.”

According to the Detroit News, Detroit was followed by New Orleans, Newark, St. Louis and Baltimore in terms of murder rates. The FBI does comparative crime statistics for U.S. cities with crime rates per 100,000 people.

LSA freshman Kevin Zhang agreed that the statistics on crime in Detroit will not make him less likely to go to Detroit to watch the Tigers, Lions or Red Wings, or events like the North American International Auto Show.

“The statistics impacted my perception negatively, obviously, but I think I already had a negative of view of the city in terms of violent crime, so it just confirms sort of what I already thought,” he said.

LSA senior Lauren Kissel shared the feelings of other students who have visited Detroit for cultural events or volunteer opportunities, saying she does not think crime in Detroit will impact the activities they attend in the city.

“The statistics definitely kind of makes me wary, but I think the places I would be going to like the DIA or volunteering would probably be more safe,” she said. “The statistics did not really change my view of the city because I kind of already knew crime was a problem there.”