Republican Gov. Rick Snyder approved Orr’s recommendation that Detroit exit bankruptcy in a letter to Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr, according to a press release from the governor’s office. Snyder also approved Orr’s request to step down as emergency manager, which will happen once the city officially emerges from bankruptcy.

“Detroit stands taller today,” Snyder wrote in the release. “Our state’s largest city has moved through this historic bankruptcy to move toward a brighter future. This was difficult work that required bold leadership and sacrifices from many people, and there is more to do.”

Laura Beth Bartell, bankruptcy expert and law professor at Wayne State University, said in an interview with The Michigan Daily that Detroit should officially exit bankruptcy by next week.

Though Duggan and the Detroit City Council regained their full powers to run the city in September, some state oversight of the city remains intact.

“If Detroit continues to abide by the plan without any problems, the oversight commission goes dormant after three years,” she said. “If they don’t abide by the plan, then that doesn’t happen and it continues.”

Now the city’s job is to earn money by collecting taxes from Detroit residents so it can reinvest in city services and follow the plan of adjustment, ensuring people will want to live in the city, Bartell said.

“It’s always questionable, what’s going to happen in the future, but you got a very energetic and determined mayor,” she said. “He’s got some smart people around him and there’s a lot of good will in the city right now and we’re going to hope that that will improve city services and make people have a better life in the city.”

In July 2013, Detroit officially became the largest city in U.S. history to file for Chapter 9 bankruptcy. In early November, Judge Steven Rhodes determined that Detroit’s proposed plan of adjustment was feasible, meaning the city could exit bankruptcy.

The plan includes discharges $7 billion in claims and calls for a $1.7 million reinvestment in city services.

In a press conference after the decision, Duggan said Detroiters have already been able to feel some of the positive changes to city services with the plan of adjustment.

Bartell said she is confident Detroit is ready to run on its own again.

“Kevyn Orr says so, Judge Rhodes says so, Mike Duggan says so, some of the people in Detroit think that it should always be running on its own,” she said. “Emergency manager laws are for emergency situations. The emergency is over, the governor has so stated, so yes, Detroit is ready to run on its own now.“