EAST LANSING Walks and errors. More walks and more errors.

Michigan baseball shot itself in the foot yesterday against Michigan State with six walks and three errors in the first two frames. When the dust settled, the damage report read: Michigan State seven runs on two hits after two innings of play.

Michigan would fuel a comeback late in the game, but fell short 8-5.

“We just gave this game away,” coach Geoff Zahn said. “Walks and errors.”

The Wolverines (9-11 Big Ten, 24-22 overall) dropped three of four in the home-and-home series with their in-state rivals, thanks in part to the remarkable 14 Michigan errors over the weekend.

“I can”t explain all the errors,” Zahn said. “I think we know that we should be better than that.”

Three of yesterday”s errors came courtesy of Nate Wright, who was playing out of position at third base.

Michigan”s regular thirdbaseman and leading hitter, Brock Koman, was suspended following the Wolverines 9-7 loss Friday in East Lansing.

Along with outfielder and fellow Colorado native Jordan Cantalamessa, Koman was suspended for at least the rest of the series for what Zahn referred to as “a violation of team rules.”

There is no timetable as to when the two will return to uniform for Michigan.

Without Koman and Cantalamessa, the Wolverines split the home doubleheader on Saturday.

Michigan State (9-13, 27-23) won the first game 10-2, thanks to a tremendous pitching performance by freshman Bryan Gale, who ran his season record to 9-0.

But in the second game the Wolverine bats sprung to life. Mike Sokol and Brandon Roberts went yard and Bobby Wood pitched a complete game to help Michigan to an easy victory, 21-2.