RC senior Amy Julia Cheyfitz is a costume designer with clothing constantly on the brain, so much so that she wears a pair of small gold-thread scissors around her neck to ward off potential wardrobe malfunctions. “You never know when you need to use them,” she said. The small, ornate shears could easily be mistaken for a legitimate fashion accessory.

Kelly Fraser
(JENNIFER KRON/Daily)

Cheyfitz has been working with costumes for much of her college career and has been the costume designer for productions like “The Visit” by Basement Arts, “The Taming of the Shrew” by Huron High School in Ann Arbor and, most recently, “Picasso at the Lapin Agile” by The Rude Mechanicals. She’s also worked for nationally-renown theatre companies like Chicago Shakespeare Theater and the Goodman Theatre in Chicago.

“I like the fanciful element of designing for theatre. And until you really get into haute couture in fashion, you aren’t allowed to be (as innovative with clothing design),” she said. “The best part about doing costumes is that you get to explore how people’s ideas and personalities manifest themselves in what they wear.”

Her passion for designing costumes stems from a love of art and aesthetics as well as fashion. “I love art, and I really do love fashion,” Cheyfitz said. “I love looking at historical costumes and looking at paintings and sculptures and films and pictures and anything I can get my hands on that’s visually stimulating.”