Michigan women”s swimming coach Jim Richardson stressed consistent swimming prior to the Wolverines” back-to-back meets last weekend.

The Wolverines fulfilled his hopes by recording an identical 143-point total against Notre Dame on Friday and Northwestern on Saturday.

But Michigan”s opponents also recorded an identical point total in these meets, resulting in two 157-143 Michigan losses on consecutive days.

Richardson had to joke with the team about its form of consistency. “Obviously we would rather have the 157 points both meets,” he told the squad, “but you did what I told you to do, which is swim consistently.”

Most importantly, Richardson described the team”s last weekend as “our best meets this semester.”

The team could have done even better Saturday against Northwestern if not for key injuries to Annie Weilbacher and Samantha Arsenault. Weilbacher sat out the meet, and Arsenault only swam in the 200-yard freestyle event after reinjuring her shoulder.

Friday, Jennifer Crisman and Arsenault turned in strong performances against Notre Dame, each winning two events. Crisman won the 50-yard freestyle and 100-butterfly, while Arsenault took first place in the 200- and 100-freestyle.

With Weilbacher out and the limited use of Arsenault, other Wolverines stepped up and swam well on Saturday including freshman Emily Fenn. She won the 500-yard freestyle in a time of 4:57.56 and the 1,650-freestyle with an NCAA consideration time of 16:35.31.

Richardson was also very pleased with Lori Eberwein, Julie Kern and Lindsay Johnson in this event, who finished fourth, fifth, and sixth, respectively.

He cited three pivotal events in the meet the 50-yard freestyle, the 200- backstroke, and the 100 butterfly. Crisman competed in two of these narrow defeats. She lost the butterfly by .46 and lost the freestyle by a microscopic .01..

Diver Tealin Keleman won the one-meter (297.60) and three-meter (307.56) events with NCAA zone qualifying marks.

Despite these losses, Coach Richardson said, “I have some very good feelings about this team and the Big Ten Championships.”

The Big Ten Championships will take place in three weeks. The Wolverines” next meet will be the Nebraska Invitational next weekend.