The Michigan women’s basketball team wasn’t going to let anyone else control the pace of game, especially after being out-hustled and outplayed in Sunday’s loss to Eastern Michigan.

So Saturday night against Indiana State (5-5), the Wolverines decided to play a full 40 minutes of high-intensity basketball.

And it paid off.

Michigan (10-2) scored 25 points off of 26 Indiana State turnovers and went on to win, 72-44.

“We came out with a lot of energy, and I thought that was the difference for us,” said Michigan coach Kevin Borseth. “Tonight’s effort and the energy we used was really good. (The energy level) was really high, and I think that created a lot of offense for us.”

The Wolverines came out on a roll, going on a 15-0 run early in the first half, and never relinquished their lead. Michigan led by as much as 33 points late in the second half and won by 28.

Junior guard Jenny Ryan led the Wolverines in scoring, tallying 15 points, shooting 3-for-4 from behind the arc and recorded eight rebounds. Junior guard Kate Thompson and junior forward Rachel Sheffer also broke into double figures, scoring 12 and 11 points, respectively. Sheffer also had a game-high five steals.

Michigan’s two key scorers, senior guard Courtney Boylan and senior forward Carmen Reynolds, struggled from the field, combining for 3-for-16.

Boylan, the team’s leading scorer on the season, did not score in Saturday’s game, but contributed key rebounds and assists during her time on the court. Reynolds, who has been silent in the past few games, tallied nine point, as she inches closer to 1,000 in her career.

Though Michigan’s starters played their typical role, it was the bench that brought the spark to the offense. The bench put up half of the Wolverines’ total points (36) while seeing more action than usual. Freshman guard Brenae Harris ran the offense for much of the second half, scoring eight points and recording a career-high two steals.

Ryan emphasized the importance of the bench, as Michigan will have to rely on them more during the Big Ten season.

“(The bench) played phenomenal,” Ryan said. “They brought us energy, they scored, they did all the little things. They’re just as capable as any of us on the floor, so have them get the chance to have experience is wonderful for the team.”

Most of the energy from the entire team came on defense. The Wolverines put pressure on the Sycamores’ deadly outside shooters and kept them from feeding the ball into the paint. Michigan held Indiana State to 16-for-46 from the field and shut down the 3-pointer — the Sycamores only hit four from long range.

Harris noted that the team has been emphasizing full-court pressure in practice, something the Wolverines have been struggling to do. And in Saturday’s game, they were successful in pressuring Indiana State in the backcourt and knocking it out of its rhythm.

“Imposing your will on people is what good teams do,” Borseth said. “It changes the dynamic of the game. If you let people run what they want to run, then they get shots that they want. (But) if you take that stuff away, then it makes it more difficult for them. Then, they take shots that are out of their offense, and that takes them out of rhythm.

“Tonight it was very effective. It’s something we want to do every game.”