Nearly two years after Andrew Shirvell, a former Michigan assistant attorney general, was initially fired after accusing former student body president Chris Armstorng of having a “radical homosexual agenda” on his personal blog, Shirvell’s termination has been confirmed and he can no longer legally appeal the decision.

Yesterday morning, William Hutchens, a hearing officer at the Michigan Civil Service Commission issued a decision to terminate Shirvell for “harassing conduct of the basest sort.” The decision to fire Shirvell centered around his creation of a blog titled the “Chris Armstrong Watch” in 2010 that openly debased Armstrong, the first openly gay president of the Michigan Student Assembly, now known as Central Student Government. The decision stated that the ensuing media coverage “made a media spectacle of himself and the Department of the Attorney General,” and was grounds for dismissal.

The decision further states that it was unacceptable to see Shirvell “engage in the reprehensible speech, lies and half-truths that are set forth in the grievant’s ‘blog’ postings.”

In the blog, Shirvell did not originally identify himself as assistant attorney general, but after an interview with WXYZ-TV, the Detroit-area ABC affiliate, it became public knowledge that he was a state government employee.

Armstrong’s lawyer, Deborah Gordon, said the decision was made fairly by an outside party.

“An outsider has looked at this — not somebody from the attorney general’s office — and wrote a 21-page opinion saying the attorney general was right to fire you,” Gordon said.

While Shirvell faced a heavy-handed defeat in this ruling, Gordon said he could still appeal it.

“He’s got a couple of appeals left to go,” Gordon said. She added that there is no way of knowing when the issue will be resolved.

“There will definitely be a time when it will be over, but I don’t see it in the near future,” Gordon said. “We’ve got a long ways probably to go before this thing is completely resolved.”

While Shirvell’s termination has been very public, Gordon said she doesn’t think the decision would bar him from future jobs, but it will make him significantly less desirable to hire

“I don’t think formally this would stop him from holding a job with the government,” Gordon said. “But I think as a practical matter, something like this would affect anybody’s ability to get employed as an attorney.”

Gordon said she was not involved in the hearing, but is representing Armstrong in a civil lawsuit against Shrivell in federal court for “defamation, for lying about (Armstrong).” She said she hope it will be heard within a few months, but doesn’t know for sure when the court will hear it.

In fall 2010, Shirvell, Armstrong, and Attorney General Mike Cox appeared on “Anderson Cooper 360°”, a nationally televised program on CNN, to discuss the situation. Soon after, Shirvell appeared on “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart”, in which Stewart emphasized the contrast between his actions and Cox’s anti-cyber bullying campaign.

In light of the scandal, the University’s Department of Public Safety issued Shirvell a trespassing warning, which forbade him from entering University property. The warning was later reduced, and only forbade Shirvell from going near Armstrong.

In October 2011, Shirvell filed a complaint against Armstrong’s attorney, Deborah Gordon, claiming that she unlawfully interfered in the processing of the case, before ultimately filing to remove her from litigation of the incident in November 2011. Specifically, Shirvell said Gordon persuaded special investigator Mike Ondejko in his examination of Shirvell for “job-related impropriety” that led to his termination.

“Ms. Gordon used her prior relationship with the investigator Mike Ondejko to basically … get me fired,” Shirvell said in an interview with The Michigan Daily in October.

Gordon countered by filing a motion against Shirvell in December 2011, stating his claims were unjust.

“He claims that everything I’ve said about him to the media is defamation, but he claims everything he said about Chris Armstrong is not defamation,” Gordon told the Daily at the time. “But me saying he’s irresponsible is defamation?”

Since the incident, Armstrong started a scholarship for students at the University in who have been victimized by acts of bullying. The initial allotment for the fund is $100,000 and will be given to incoming freshmen. During an event at Rackham Auditorium last November, Armstrong said the decision to create the fund was a join effort between himself and his parents to inspire students to excel and transcend the effects of bullying.

“My parents and I decided to start a scholarship for students who’ve been bullied, to come to the University of Michigan … and show students how it gets better,” Armstrong said.