The body of a homeless man discovered Nov. 4 on the sidewalk in front of In and Out party store and Bella Napoli Pizza and Italian Restaurant on East University Avenue has been identified by the Ann Arbor Police Department as 51-year-old Daniel Skodak.

AAPD officers could not release his name until they had notified next of kin, which they said was a difficult process because he had no home address.

Before his death, Skodak was seen by passer-bys drinking with a friend outside the stores.

The two apparently fell asleep on the sidewalk.

When AAPD officers arrived at the scene around 9:20 p.m. that night, Skodak was already dead.

The body, covered with a white sheet, continued to lie on the sidewalk for hours while police collected evidence from the scene.

“I know a lot of students walking by thought it was a terrible thing,” AAPD Detective Dave Monroe said. “It doesn’t look nice when it’s on the streets.”

Monroe said AAPD officers knew Skodak drank alcohol at times, but he was not known for doing any other drugs or substances.

Toxicology reports from the Washtenaw County Medical Examiner’s office are not yet available and the exact cause of Skodak’s death is still unknown.

But Monroe said there was “nothing suspicious” about the death.

“I don’t know if we can contribute the weather to his death,” Monroe said.

“We know that he would drink, but if you are looking for some other elicit drug, there is no connection at this time.”