MOSSY GROVE, Tenn. (AP) – Searchers and dazed survivors went from one shattered home to another yesterday, picking through splintered lumber and torn sheet metal for any sign of the missing, after twisters and thunderstorms killed at least 35 people in five states.

More than 70 reported tornadoes cut a path of destruction from Louisiana to Pennsylvania over the weekend and into yesterday. Sixteen deaths were reported in Tennessee, 12 in Alabama, five in Ohio and one each in Mississippi and Pennsylvania. More than 200 people were injured.

“Yesterday, we had a nice brick house and four vehicles. Today, we don’t own a toothbrush,” said Susan Henry of Mossy Grove, where seven people were killed and at least 40 were still unaccounted for as of midafternoon.

The tiny community 40 miles west of Knoxville was nearly wiped off the map, with about a dozen of the 20 or so homes reduced to concrete foundations and piles of rubble a few feet high.

Henry, her husband and two children survived after taking shelter in the basement of a neighbor’s home that collapsed around them.

“It was just deafening it was so loud,” said 17-year-old Tabatha Henry. “You could hear the wood pop in the house, and that was it. Then all you could hear was the screaming and praying.”

Daylight brought a picture of destruction. In Mossy Grove, clothes fluttered from tree limbs. Power lines dangled from poles. Cars lay crumpled after being tossed like toys. About the only sound was the bleating of a battery-operated smoke alarm buried deep in the rubble.

Searchers believed that most of the missing in and around Mossy Grove were OK and had simply been unable to get in touch with family members, said Steven Hamby, Morgan County director of emergency medical services. The storm knocked out telephone service and blocked roads.

No bodies had been found since early yesterday, but Hamby said digging out could take weeks.

“We’re hoping that we’re past the bad stuff,” he said.

In Carbon Hill, Ala., 70 miles northwest of Birmingham, seven people were killed by nighttime storms that sent giant hardwood trees crashing down on houses and mobile homes.