The Day the Earth Stood Still
20th Century Fox
At the Quality 16 and Showcase

1 out of 5 Stars

A contender for one of the worst movie remakes in history, “The Day the Earth Stood Still” tarnishes the reputation of its 1951 sci-fi progenitor. The lackluster and constantly predictable plot centers on mysterious spheres that suddenly appear throughout the world. An alien named Klaatu (Keanu Reaves, “Street Kings”) emerges from a sphere and delivers a grave message for the inhabitants of Earth. Hysteria ensues.

The main problem with the story is that nearly all of its scenes are useless, especially those featuring a whining Jaden Smith (“The Pursuit of Happyness”). If all the expendable scenes were exised, the movie would be about 20 minutes long. But because this abridged version is not yet available, we must all suffer through Smith’s intolerable hissy fits for the duration of the already banal film.

Yet another of the film’s flaws is its glaring portrayal of humans as a bunch of assholes. Between the incompetent secretary of state (Kathy Bates, “P.S. I Love you”) and the less than flattering representation of the U.S. military (who shoot first and ask questions later in every sci-fi movie), the movie tries its hand at revamping the 1951 film’s theme of humans on the verge of self-destruction. Case in point: In the remake, environmental change becomes the atom bomb of our time. The only redeeming aspect of the movie is its special effects, which look fantastic and add a minute amount of intrigue to the story. But ultimately, the only thing worth watching during this movie is your clock.