In an effort to raise awareness about date rape on campus, the Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Association and Athletic Department co-sponsored a program titled, “He Said, She Said” last night at Cliff Keen Arena.

“I think it is something we want to stress to our members because we have such a large portion of the student body,” said Lindsay Mann, the Panhel vice president of programming.

Charles Cohen, the IFC vice president of community development, said the event was important because date rape isn”t a topic commonly spoken about.

“These are important things that happen and if we aren”t educated then we can”t do anything to stop them,” he said.

Cohen said the event was not limited to only members of the Greek community or athletes.

“If we start by addressing Greek members and athletes then maybe it can spread to other members of the community,” he said.

The event featured Katie Koestner, a victim of date rape who has received recognition for traveling across the country to talk to high school and college students.

Koestner spoke about her personal experience with sexual assault as a freshman at the College of William and Mary in 1990. She was assaulted following a date with another student she had known for several weeks and had become close with.

“When I was 18, date rape did not exist,”Koestner said.

Koestner used her story to implore students to recognize that rape can occur easily on college campuses and that they have the chance to try to prevent it.

“It is very easy to stand for any cause when dignity is at stake,” she said.

The event also featured attorney Brett Sokolow, president of the National Center for Higher Education Risk Management, who specializes in sexual assault policy and law. He spoke with students regarding the role that alcohol plays in date rape and the definition of sexual consent.

Many students who attended said they left with positive feelings about Koestner”s account.

“It struck a lot of emotions because she told her story through a voice that I could relate to,” said LSA freshman Marina Katz, a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi”s pledge class.

Although students pledging fraternities and sororities this semester were required to attend the event, members of the Greek system said they did not feel that the event was stereotypically geared toward them.

Mann said the Greek system was included because a large portion of University community is Greek.

“I don”t know if I would say (date-rape) is more prevalent in the Greek system,” she said.

Other students felt that more members of the University should have been involved.

“While fraternities are given a negative reputation, I think this is something that non-Greeks could have benefited from,” said Kinesiology junior Brad Spiegel after the presentation.