With four weeks left until Election Day, students are still largely undecided on who they support in the race for Michigan’s governor.

The Nov. 4 gubernatorial election will pit Republican incumbent Rick Snyder against Democratic challenger Mark Schauer. Snyder is seeking a second term, and early indicators suggest the election could be close, with Snyder leading in most polls by between 1 and 6 percent.

Snyder took office in 2011 after an overwhelming Republican victory in the Nov. 2010 elections. Under Snyder, Michigan’s economy has seen slow but steady growth, though some sources question how much credit he should receive for such events. Snyder holds a BGS, MBA and J.D. — completed in 1977, 1979 and 1982, respectively — all from the University.

Mark Schauer served as the U.S. Representative for Michigan’s 7th District from 2009 to 2011, during which he voted mainly along party lines, supporting such measures as consumer protection and the passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. He was defeated in 2010 by his predecessor, U.S. Rep. Tim Walberg (R–Tipton).

After a lengthy period of consideration, Schauer announced his candidacy for governor on May 28, 2013, challenging Snyder primarily on tax and education policies. Schauer has made significant gains given his promise to repeal right to work laws and he was a key proponent of SB 0934 — state legislation that would gradually raise the minimum wage from $7.40 to $9.25 per hour by 2018.

The candidates are slated to hold a public debate at 6 p.m. Oct. 12.

Disclaimer: The following data was collected via e-mail survey randomly distributed to 1,600 undergraduates, with 178 completing the survey. Political party affiliation was self-reported.