Remember when MTV used to be awesome? It might be hard to think back to a time before “Jersey Shore,” “Teen Wolf” and the noticeable lack of music, but back in the ’90s, MTV featured intelligent programming. Most notably, there was “Daria,” one of the best animated series ever.

Daria Morgendorffer made her first appearance on Mike Judge’s MTV animated series “Beavis and Butt-head” before breaking away with her own spinoff series, which lasted for five 13-episode seasons and two TV movies. Though “Beavis and Butt-head” will be revived with new episodes this week, “Daria” and all of the titular character’s teenage angst bundled into combat boots and an army-green jacket is starting to be forgotten.

Daria was sharp-witted, snarky and provided deadpan commentary on the suburban teenage world that surrounded her. What made Daria so lovable was her very realistic portrayal of a type of high school girl largely underrepresented on television in the ’90s: She is unpopular, but she never wants to break away from that label. Her transition into high school is not easy. On the first day, she is placed in a special class for students with low self-esteem (to which she replies: “Don’t worry, I don’t have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else”). But Daria never tries to change herself or her ever-sarcastic outlook — not for social status, nor to win the affections of a classmate. She’s Daria, and she may not be comfortable in typical high school situations like parties and dances, but she’s comfortable in her own skin.

The titular character was not the only compelling female persona on “Daria.” There was Jane Lane with her dark red lipstick, heavily studded ears and provocative sketches. Jane and Daria meet on Daria’s first day at Lawndale High School and instantly bond over their mutual hatred for just about everyone around them. Jane has Daria’s snarky attitude, but is different from her best friend in that she is a bit livelier — though, think of your most boring and monotone professor, and I guarantee you they’ll seem like a pep squad leader next to Daria.

Jane is better adjusted than Daria and even expresses interest in climbing up the high school hierarchy. She is accepted by more students when she joins the track team, but quits immediately after some of her teammates make fun of Daria. Jane and Daria are always looking out for each other, as the show placed a huge emphasis on female friendships. This was a refreshing change of pace in the ’90s, when many teen soaps featured underdeveloped female characters who were more interested in finding a date to prom than nurturing healthy relationships with other women.

Daria’s popular younger sister Quinn is a bubbly and outgoing cheerleader, making her an easy target for Daria and Jane’s quips. But on a lesser show, that’s all Quinn would be: an insipid, dumb queen bee. Quinn is complex, perceptive and smart in a way Daria never could be. She may pay others to do her homework and care way too much about her social status, but she has great people skills and can even be trusted as Daria’s confidant. Likewise, Brittany Taylor, the head cheerleader and girlfriend of the Lawndale quarterback, develops an unlikely friendship with Daria. She is far from being book-smart, even worrying that she might fail art class and have to take remedial art (“Perspective is hard!”), but she manages to offer Daria sound advice throughout the series.

“Daria” proved that there are many different kinds of nerdy girls, and that girls who get the good grades are not the only substantive, complex characters. The show also tackled race: Daria’s friend Jodie Landon is one of few black students at Lawndale, and she often notes the pressure of feeling like she has an obligation to represent black people in the white-majority suburb where the show takes place. “Daria” managed to explore gender and race issues, all while maintaining a witty, offbeat script and three-dimensional (though technically two-dimensional) characters.

Daria Morgendorffer will sadly not be making an appearance in the new episodes of “Beavis and Butt-head.” Even more upsetting is that there are no longer Daria-esque characters on television. The closest match would be April Ludgate (Aubrey Plaza) of “Parks and Recreation” with her deadpan asides and oddities. But overall, few shows currently on air manage to effectively capture the teen angst so inherent to high school in the way that “Daria” did.

The characters of “Daria” were relatable and grew, which isn’t typical of animated series. They were not stock types, but real representations of young women. And that’s something to celebrate — in a monotone, monosyllabic utterance, of course.