The University of Washington required questions to be submitted online for the Dalai Lama’s visit to the college this week to ensure that questions were unrelated to the relationship between Tibet and China, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported.

Officials said they weren’t trying to censor students but wanted to be sure questions didn’t stray from the Dalai Lama’s agenda. He asked for his talk to focus on “the nurturing of compassion.”

“Our event is not about current politics,” said college spokesman Norman Arkans. “It is part of the Seeds of Compassion initiative. It is our understanding that he’s coming to talk about that initiative.”

Too many beer ads?

Angered by the number of beer ads broadcast during this year’s men’s basketball tournament, a group of 100 presidents of colleges and universities signed a letter directed to the National College Athletic Association asking it to cut back its beer-related advertising.

The letter was organized by the Center for Science in the Public Interest. It claimed the NCAA violated its beer commercial limit.

Hungry for transparency

Members of the University of Florida’s chapter of Students for a Democratic Society vowed to go hungry until the college’s president, Bernie Machen, agrees to meet with them and discuss investment plans for the school’s $1.2 billion endowment, the Independent Florida Alligator reported.

The 11 students have been asking for full disclosure of the University’s investments. They’re concerned that the University isn’t making socially conscious investment decisions.

Steve Orlando, a university spokesman, said the college can’t release its investment portfolio because it contains trade secrets and changes on a daily basis.

“It’s an agree to disagree situation, I suppose,” he said.

Auf Wiedersehen to German

The University of Southern California will no longer offer any majors or minors in German after it closes the department at the end of the term, the Chronicle reported.

Howard Gillman, dean of USC’s College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, said the decision was based on declining enrollment and different priorities at the University.

“I understand the central importance of German languages and cultures for the humanities and for the world,” he said. “We are trying to think about what the proper balance or organizational structure is for all of these.”

The department has only two full-time professors and eight students with a declared major. The professors will continue to teach under a different, yet-to-be determined department, Gillman said.

“In my personal opinion, this is not an eternal decision,” he said. “There may be a good chance at some point that it will be reinstated.”