The Daily’s players of the week

In a week when Goliaths fell all over the country, The Daily’s players of the week honors go to a group of Davids. Pittsburgh running back Brandon Miree helped tha Panthers knock off a seemingly invincible Virginia Tech team. The Boston College defense forced fumble after fumble as the Eagles took down Notre Dame and Georgia Tech quarterback A.J. Suggs led the Yellow Jackets in the fourth quarter in their upset over previously unbeaten North Carolina State.

Brandon Miree,

Pittsburgh

Why Miree?: In arguably the biggest upset of the day, running back Brandon Miree was the game’s best player. Analysts had already assumed that both Virginia Tech and Miami (Fla.) would be undefeated when they meet, but that was before the vaunted Hokies’ defense encountered Miree. Virginia Tech came into the game allowing just over 40 yards per game rushing (No. 1 in the nation) but the Panthers racked up 275 yards – 161 from Miree. Miree also ran for the game-winning touchdown, a 53-yard scamper with just four minutes left in the game. This performance solidifies Miree as the starting running back for the Panthers, which has been in doubt throughout the season

Defense,

Boston College

Why the Boston College defense?: Because it certainly wasn’t the Boston College offense that won the game for the Eagles. In its 14-7 upset of Notre Dame, the Boston College defense gave the Irish a taste of their own medicine by forcing five turnovers in the first half and returning an interception 71 yards for a touchdown. It also held strong in the second half by letting up just one touchdown – an incredible play by freshman wide receiver Maurice Stovall. The play of the Eagles’ defense made up for the fact that the Irish held Boston College to under 200 yards of total offense and just 77 yards passing by quarterback Brian St. Pierre..

A.J. Suggs,

Georgia Tech

Why Suggs?: Although his statistics are not overwhelming – 21-of-36 for 211 yards with a touchdown and an interception – it was A.J. Suggs’ fourth quarter composure in leading the Yellow Jackets to a 24-17 win over North Carolina State that earns him this week’s honor. Down 17-9 after North Carolina State scored early in the fourth quarter, Suggs and the Georgia Tech offense went to work. He led two scoring drives – one for 80 yards and the other for just 21 – and converted a crucial 2-point conversion on the former to tie the game. After the scores, Suggs was aided by running back Gordon Clinkscale, who ran down the clock and kept the ball out of the Wolfpack’s claws. Clinkscale ended the day with 15 rushes for 94 yards and the game-winning touchdown.