bsd.TMD_3595

Priya Bali
Daily Arts Writer

Goodbye to 420 Maynard — where, in a sea of loud, passionate voices, I found my own. Thank you to the people who showed me how to communicate mine just as expressively, and to the readers, who cared enough to listen to it.

Benji Dell/Daily

Jeremy Cho
Senior Photo Editor

I just want to say thanks to all the people I’ve met, interacted, and worked with at the Daily. You’ve made my experience here exceed all expectations. It’s been a privilege being a part of something amazing.

Rodrigo Gaya
Managing Photo Editor

I’d like to send all my love and gratitude to all of the following people who have either influenced me or guided me to become the person/photographer I am today:

Dios, Ma, Pa, Xavi, Tesh, Juanpi, Lita, los Villar, los Gaya, Mau, the Key Crew, Father Liam, Mr Linfors, 420 Maynard, T-Dingger, F-Dog, Weiner, Tuman, Tommaso, The Bus, Dziadosz, Emma, Petrobas, Angie, JeyCho, my staffers, Andrew GrossfaceSquarePants, Big Worm, Emery, Passface, Gabeface, Feldman, Ian, Johnny Lowe, Katz, Herring, the Newsies, Polar Bear, Scott B, the Puerto Ricans, the Indians, the Explorers, the Michiganders, Futbolitis FC, FCBarcelona, and everyone else (you know who you are)…

Y gracias pinche Daily por todo lo que me has dado y quitado. I am eternally grateful for everything and everyone. Call me if you need anything.

Com/Amb amor.

Kimberly Chou
Daily Arts Writer

A million thanks to “the old Daily,” for making me the writer that I thought I was, and for remaining the people that I miss most — and to Caroline, who gets it. Thanks, too, to those I love in the new Daily: I’ll leave a pitcher of mojito and an NPR tote-bag on my way out.

Abigail Colodner
Daily Arts Writer

There are limited ways to end up inside a bell in the clocktower at midnight talking to a man in a formal suit about shipwrecks and still write home about it. The Daily is one.

“Liberal arts education” equals finding what you love accidentally. I wanted to find madcap satisfaction in academics, but I found it at the Daily. And in fact, I owe most of what I know about our school to the work I do for the Daily. I’ve interviewed department heads, fellows, artists from any/everywhere — and students, most importantly. Yeah, I meet PAT majors as parties, but the crime is I never rush through their hallways, let alone their campus — except when I’m writing for the Daily.

Studying abroad showed me the freedom in owning your tourist status. That§s what the Daily allows me to do here — use what I don§t know to my best advantage, ask incessant questions — because learning, not complacency, is my job.

Ann Arbor worked into my heart through its performances. The column I had the privilege to write for three semesters was both terrifying and incomparably gratifying. The Fine Arts writers could make me weep with gratitude. I know it’s the most challenging Arts section, and some of these writers have committed beyond what I could have asked.

Adrenaline-driven marathon reads with you fueled me and help me understand what makes such committments worthwhile. I bubble over about you — Priya, Maureen, Ben Vdubs, Katie, Whitney, Michele, Catherine Smyka, indelible Andrew Klein.

Editors from Arts and every other section, you chose reponsibility and time and it’s been formative working with you. Some of the busiest people on campus can also give the most sober, generous attention. My deep respect and thanks to them and to everyone who reads Arts.

It would have been a poorer four years without this. Thank goodness I know.

Matt Emery
Daily Arts Editor

There are a lot of good people at this paper. Write for Daily Arts. Take a chance with Daily Arts. Hate Daily Arts. Love Daily Arts. Write more for Daily Arts. Get shoved into something you’re not prepared for. Become an editor. Love your job. Love the people you work with. Love what you’re forced into. Love the job you have. Know you’re the person for the job. Finish the job. Love the job. Try to say goodbye. For God’s sake, try to say goodbye. Miss the paper you love so much. Goodbye, everyone. Goodbye.

Dan Feldman
Senior Sports Editor

I’ll still be writing next semester, but these goodbyes are published now. So I’d like to to recap a few of my favorite Daily memories:

-Getting kicked off the women’s tennis beat after the star of the team made some choice comments about South Carolina fans (their mascot is the ‘Cocks, after all) and her coach refused to talk to me anymore

-Driving several miles in the wrong direction to get gas on the way back from a women’s basketball game at Miami (Ohio), then watching in horror as the driver pumped it with the car running

-Waking up to a call from wrestling coach Joe McFarland criticizing me for picking his team as Michigan’s most disappointing two years ago
-Running for editor in chief and losing

-Running for managing sports editor and losing

-Running for summer sports editor and winning (I don’t care if it was uncontested)

-Spending 25 hours in a car to and from Boston debating whether I or my beatmate could read personality better

-Singing Journey’s “Lights” countless times on the way back from Minneapolis

-Talking one-on-one with people like Rich Rodriguez, John Beilein, Bill Martin and Brandon Graham

I often find these goodbyes self-serving, and if you do too, you should stop reading here (or earlier, to be honest). There are some people I’d like to thank:

First of all — my parents. Your support has meant so much to me, and I love you.

All my beatmates — Ian, Nate, Courtney, Mark, Jose, AO, Mike, Chris and Andy — it was a blast working with you.

All the great friends, and one who’s a little more, who I met at the Daily — you’re the reason I kept coming back.

Jack and Scott — thanks for teaching me so much. I just tried to match your quality this year.

Eric Lacy, Mark Snyder, Chris Balas, John Borton, Matt Pargoff, Mike Spath, Joe Vardon, John Heuser, Pete Bigelow, Jeff Arnold, Paula Pasche and Angelique Chengelis — it was great meeting and shmoozing with all of you. You made a fun job even more fun.

John Lowe — thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I look forward to talking with you next semester.

Everyone I covered: the coaches and the players — thanks for all your help and taking the time to talk with me.

All the SIDs I worked with — even though you might not have liked me that much, I really appreciate all the hard work you put in.

The new writers: Mike, Gilad, Amy, Emily, Kevin, Andrew, Felix, Jack, Jake, Nick, Tim, Roger and Chantel — stick with it. This place is worth it.

The readers — thanks for the compliments and the criticism, and just for reading.

Lisa Gentile
Senior Design Editor

The past few years have been nothing but a love/hate relationship. With school. With life. And more importantly with the Daily.

I have had my fair share of “fun” experiences at the Daily. But what has mattered more to me has been the people I’ve spent them with. I have spent countless all-nighters with Daily editors laughing about how we save everything until the last minute. And I will never forget the times when I needed a friend and I was always able to find a comforting shoulder.

Roommates, lovers and friends—all have been easily found at the Daily. But, I can’t forget the people who have supported me when I wasn’t able to make it back to 420 Maynard. To the Bluebelles—I love you more than life itself. To Lindsey and Bridget—I don’t think I’d make it without you. And to my family—I’m sorry for all the tears, but I’m slightly melodramatic!

Most importantly, to everyone who stood up to me, thank you. I don’t think you realized it was what I wanted all along.

Andrew Grossman
Editor in Chief

I am disappointed and amazed by this newspaper every day. Thanks, Michigan, for reading us and putting up with us. I only hope that the people who come in to 420 Maynard St. for the next 119 years don’t forget that this isn’t about them. It’s about Michigan. Laugh at everything, but remember that what we’re doing is deadly serious.

Chris Herring
Managing News Editor

Most people walk away from their college days able to point to the friends and memories they’ve made. And despite what some may think, I’ll be able to do the same.

Yes, being at the Daily more than 60 hours each week has changed my social life. But it hasn’t hurt it. I’ve got great housemates — none of whom work at the Daily — and I have a number of good friends here at the paper. But every student makes friends, regardless of what group they join here.

What set the Daily and my experiences there apart were the numerous opportunities it provided me.

Last summer, I spent a week following around and writing about Barack Obama. Prior to reporting on the man poised to become our next president, I interviewed a man who was responsible for bringing one down (Bob Woodward). When I haven’t spent my time interviewing American icons, I’ve written on the University’s efforts to maintain diversity without using affirmative action (only when things are slow, of course).

I took great pride in knowing my work helped shape the perspective of the thousands of people that walk this campus everyday. Thanks for allowing me to do that.

Emmarie Huetteman
Associate Editorial Page Editor

In this newsroom I have experienced moments of insecurity, anger and disappointment — and enough moments of confidence, enthusiasm and joy to more than compensate. If you haven’t yet committed to something in college that offers you all of that, keep looking.

In the meantime, buy your textbooks online, find out what the University Board of Regents is (and then be skeptical about everything it does) and just ignore those Diag preachers.

Shannon Kellman
Opinion Writer

Working at the Daily was a lot more fun that I thought it was going to be. I’m glad I got to be a part of it, even for a short while. Where else it is possible to talk about drinking games, this year’s ballot proposals, and the possibility of a socialist federal government all in the space of an hour?

Jason Kohler
Sports Assistant Editor

I came to college telling myself I was done with journalism. I was editor-in-chief of my high school newspaper and I was going to move on to bigger and better things. But after about a year at Michigan, I discovered I didn’t enjoy those bigger or better things more than sports journalism. At the end of my freshman year, two of my friends sat me down, telling me we needed to have a serious talk. They then told me I had to join the Michigan Daily. I laughed and brushed off their suggestion.

I eventually listened to their advice and joined the Daily half-way through my sophomore year. I’ve been here two years and I’ve loved every moment. My only regret is that I didn’t listen to my friends and join earlier. I’ve had the opportunity to cover some amazing events. The tennis team’s upset of Illinois two years ago. The baseball team hosting its first regional since 1986. And more recently the basketball team’s upsets of UCLA and Michigan.

I want to thank the SID’s I’ve worked with, especially Tom Wyrot, Gene Skidmore and Marc Ressler. Also, to all my beat-mates, thanks for putting up with me and it has been a pleasure working with you. To everyone else, I guess you’re OK too.

Kara Morris
Food Bloggger

As a freshman I attended a free Indian food event and was inspired to explore food. The dishes were authentic and were provided by students with a genuine interest in teaching others about their culture. Since then I’ve pursued similar events to learn and to meet new people who share my passion.

Find your passion. It doesn’t have to be food, though I’d recommend it. UM is bursting with opportunities—cultural performances, art museums, shows, music and speeches by well-regarded scholars and political figures. Learn, meet new people and share your interests with others.

I did not like English in high school. I study engineering; my mind is full of numbers and little else. But somehow I was allowed to write about food for The Daily. Thank you.

Jess, thanks for editing my articles; I imagined you might have pulled your hair out a few times working through my more-technical-than-flowery “comparative ratio of apples to bananas” work. Allie, thank you for your excitement about the blog and for helping me feel more at home. Thank you Gabe, for ranting about food with me and for taking my mind off my homework. Andrew, thank you for your encouragement and for allowing me to write after I sent you that first [wickedly] long email. And thanks to everyone at the Daily for your encouragement, advice and for trying my recipes.

Gabe Nelson
Managing Editor

I’m not a very nostalgic person, so graduating and moving on after four years at the Daily won’t be that hard. At least not yet.

Alumni always come back to the newsroom to reminisce. They tell stories: stories of fights with the administration, victories on the football field and all the other events that make the University of Michigan such a vibrant place. They remember spending their college years documenting those stories, often with future Pulitzer Prize winners as colleagues.

Every time I read the Daily’s slogan, “119 years of editorial freedom,” I remember that the Daily was here long before I showed up, and it will hopefully be here long after I leave. It’s a reassuring yet humbling thought.

Right now, I’m happy to be done. This job has put a strain on my academics, my psyche and my friendships. My girlfriend hates it. The Daily has stolen my precious time at college away from me.

But inevitably, I’ll miss the Daily the moment I’m gone.

Years down the road, I’ll be back in the Daily’s newsroom. It will be in its 150th year of editorial freedom or so, and I’ll tell a bunch of kids stories they probably won’t understand, stories that meant everything to me when I was in their situation.

That’s just how life is, I guess.

I offer many thanks to everyone who has put up with me over the last four years: Daily staff, sources, readers and friends. And thanks to everyone who told me I could when I certainly couldn’t. You learn a lot that way.

Bridget O’Donnell
Managing Design Editor, Managing Online Editor

To my family and non-Daily friends (yes, they do exist), for listening to my Daily rants and giving me guidance: Thank you.

To all of my current and former roommates who suffered sleepless nights whenever I came home from the Daily in the early hours of the morning: Thank you (and sorry).

To all of my Daily coworkers, past and present, especially those who were nerdy enough to share late-night discussions about journalism with me, but at the same time were passionate and inspiring: Thank you. There are far too many of you out there to name.

And finally, to you, reader, who consistently allowed us to put our work out there five days a week, despite our screwups and mishaps: Thank you. Journalism is in the midst of a transition, and I’m thankful you’re sticking around for the change.

Michael Passman
Managing Arts Editor

Thanks Daily.

But in the words of Milton, “can I leave now?”

Ian Robinson
Senior Sports Editor

Most people don’t get the opportunity to say goodbye to campus, the Daily and Ann Arbor. Even if you get a single chance, you are lucky.

Two and you’ve really done something. Between my senior goodbye last year, the column that’s running in today’s sports section and this, I have three.

Last year, I ran through a list of shoutouts, and it was a pretty comprehensive list. You can find it if you click here and scroll 95 percent down the page.

At the risk of being too self-serving, I’ll cut the goodbye short here.

Just a quick message to all future Daily staffers: Have fun with it.

Kate Peabody
Editorial Board Member

When I first attended Editboard, Imran and Gary scared the hell out of me. But, as I was stirring up an Editboard ruckus this year, I realized, I’m sure I was scaring some of the newbies myself. I hope Editboard continues to teach people how to speak up. We may be a bunch of grumpy liberals and disgruntled anarchists, but we put up a good fight. Stay unsatisfied Gary and Robby, and you’ll put out a good paper.

Colt Rosensweig
Daily Sports Writer

In Field of Dreams, Moonlight Graham said, “You don’t recognize the most important moments of your life while they’re happening.”

It’s true — I didn’t.

I didn’t know that finally following Karl Stampfl to the Daily would lead me to my home away from home, or that only then-MSE Ian Herbert’s sweetness to a scared and nearly useless freshman would make me stay there. I didn’t know that one night in Michael’s room discussing possible winter beats — a jumping-off point to my ultimate goal, the baseball beat — would lead me to the men’s gymnastics team, where I truly belong. And I certainly didn’t know that that night meant I’d be staying in Ann Arbor for five years, even though I could have graduated in four.

I know this isn’t supposed to be a “shout-out,” but I have to thank my parents in public. They were actually surprised when I told them I’d be including them in my senior goodbye, though I can’t understand why. Not only did they subsidize most of my roadtrips (and feed the team whenever they passed through the Bay Area), they became as enthusiastic about the entire sport as I am. I couldn’t have done any of this without them — I mean, they’re the ones who let me stay five years!
We were in Iowa for Big Tens my sophomore year, and I was talking to a couple of the guys after the meet. Suddenly one of the freshmen said, “You’ll be our beat writer for … ever, right?” Even if he meant four years, the likelihood was not good. I said yes anyway.

Now that freshman is a senior, and I’m still with the men’s gym team. I could have moved up at the Daily—at least, I’d like to think so. But moving “up” doesn’t always mean you’re getting something better. For some people, the football beat is the crowning experience of their time at the Daily, and that’s fine. But I will never regret the four years I’ve spent with the men’s gymnastics team. You don’t get chances like this after college — collegiate men’s gymnastics writers don’t exist in the “real world.” If you find something you love, take advantage of the time you have. If you dive into your beat with a passion, whether it’s men’s gymnastics or ice hockey, good things will happen. Maybe thousands of people didn’t read my stories; maybe there weren’t too many people who cared.

Yet there were moments I will never forget, which I wouldn’t trade for anything.

John Lowe, the Tigers beat writer for the Detroit Free Press, editing my stories as if they were the most important thing he’d read all day—and invariably making them better.

Jamie Thompson, one of my original “little freshmen,” telling me that whoever follows as the men’s gym beat writer will have big shoes to fill.

Evan Heiter telling me that my feature about him made his mom cry.
Having gymnasts on opposing teams tell me they’ve seen more of me than their own beat writer.

Getting hugs from gym parents who tell me they love my stories.
Knowing that another of “my freshmen,” Joe Catrambone, has a huge stack of newspapers stashed away—every single one of my men’s gym articles, from the very beginning.

So to every single gymnast and coach I’ve ever known, thank you, from the bottom of my heart. (Bregs, I know you’re going to be on my case for not mentioning you. But see? I just mentioned you!) You’ve been my teachers, my heroes and my friends. You were the ones who drove me to be the best writer I could be.

Someday, some of those boys will tell their kids about their college careers — and show them my stories. I like to think I made a small difference in their lives, just like they made a huge difference in mine. That makes it all worth it.

Nate Sandals
Managing Sports Editor

I hope every student finds a place on this campus where they can learn and grow as much as I have in three-and-a-half years at the Daily. To those of you who will pick up and improve where I leave off, never pass up a chance to challenge yourself. You’ll be amazed how far each risk takes you.

Sara Schneider
Daily Arts Writer

I would love to say farewell with a deep, meaningful quotation from a beloved journalist or artist, but I do not think their words would be able to adequately conclude my Daily Arts career. Instead, as my words leave the arts pages, I urge only one thing to my readers and to all: make art a part of your everyday life. It is easy to see beauty all around us. Just today walking home from class, one of the few remaining leaves fell from a tree and landed on my warm winter hat, and I could not help but smile. Allow moments like this to break the monotony of schoolwork and push these moments ever further by creating them yourselves. Attend a poetry reading, visit an art gallery, try out some new recipes with a friend, read a good book, or dance the night away at your favorite band’s concert. No matter what medium you choose, make life include art. Thanks for your valued readership and the opportunity to share my passions with individuals like yourselves.

Mark Schultz
Daily Arts Writer

The Daily is the single outside activity of note I’ve been a part of in my four years at U of M. It will forever be a reminder of the lost potential of IM football, swing dancing, tutoring inner-city children, writing workshop intern and all the other stuff I signed up for but never attended. I will truly miss showing up hungover to 4 PM meetings, writing offensive blog posts, frivolous but entertaining gossip columns, and, of course, the lonely nights spent staring at Nate Sandals from across the newsroom. What can I say, the man is a looker.