A bill in the state House of Representatives that will exempt minors from Minor in Possession of Alcohol charges if they’re helping another inebriated person get medical treatment passed the House yesterday by an overwhelming majority — only four legislators voted against it. The legislation, House Bill 4393, will now proceed to the Senate where it will hopefully be passed and then signed into law. If passed, minors would be able to seek medical attention due to overconsumption of alcohol for themselves and others without facing legal repercussions. This medical amnesty legislation would promote safer behavior around the state, and at the University. The state Senate and Republican Gov. Rick Snyder should follow the House’s lead and enact the legislation as expediently as possible.

Medical amnesty would encourage students to seek medical attention without the concern of receiving an MIP. Similar laws have been enacted in other states, and they’ve proven to save lives. Despite increasing admissions to hospitals for alcohol-related injuries, there have been no signs of increased alcohol consumption. The bill will help students, and delaying its passage any longer puts more students at risk.

In January, LSA junior Aditya Sathi, vice speaker of Central Student Government’s Student Assembly, introduced a resolution in support of a medical amnesty policy at the University. Sathi’s work paid off, and CSG was able to promote the bill in the state Legislature. Students must continue to push for complete legislation to create a safer community. Drinking is a part of the University’s culture that isn’t going to go away any time soon. Instead of punishing individuals who seek help, medical amnesty will protect them.