It would be quite a feat to oust incumbent Rep. John Dingell (D–Mich.) from office. Currently, he is the longest-serving member of the U.S. Congress with an amazing 55 years in office. His tenure has taught him how to get bills pushed through the House. His expansive experience and strong relationships in Washington D.C. are assurances that his promises will become legislation.

Dr. Rob Steele, Dingell’s opponent in the upcoming election, doesn’t bring any of the same expertise or potential to the position — and his policy plans are even less impressive. He opposes the new federal health care legislation and favors scrapping the whole plan. He claims to want to create a new health care program, but as someone who favors cutting government spending, it’s hard to imagine that he will be able to enact a plan with adequate coverage.

Education funding is necessary for Michigan to create a vital economic climate. Steele has scarcely addressed the issue of education and how he plans on funding it in light of his proposed decreases in government spending.

Dingell, however, has made education a priority in his campaign and supports increased funding for it. He wants to increase the affordability of higher education and has helped pass legislation that increases the maximum award for Pell Grants — a need-based initiative to help underprivileged Americans pay for college.

Dingell also supports initiatives that would directly help people in southeastern Michigan. According to a report in The Michigan Daily, he was recently part of a plan that put $161 million in federal funds toward repairing the line between Detroit and Dearborn, and the beginnings of a high-speed line from Detroit to Chicago. Not only is this push for public transportation good for the environment and local economies, but it will also add between 1,500 and 1,800 new jobs to the area.

For years, Dingell has served this region with distinction. And his years of experience and ability to push through legislation with tangible effects — like high-speed rail and funding to fix the Blake Transit Center — show that he can get things done for Michigan.

In order to ensure that the state stays on the right path to recovery, the Daily endorses JOHN DINGELL for the House of Representatives.