After every game of the 2005 season, The Michigan Daily’s football writers will take you for a ride in Lloyd’s car. The gauges all refer to different variables that will fluctuate from week to week, depending on how the team and fans perform.

Defensive Intensity is a measure of – you guessed it – how well the Wolverines manage to stop their opponents.

The Carr-o-meter is a rough gauge of head coach Lloyd Carr’s opinion of his team’s play, as judged from his postgame comments.

The Hypemeter provides our opinion of how well the fans supported the Hawkeyes compared to the Michigan fans. Volume, consistency and awareness are all considered.

Rush Yards is a straightforward measure of Michigan’s ground yardage total in each game. Since an effective running game is crucial to postseason success – especially for this year’s squad, which is loaded at running back – this statistic figures to be a consistently important indicator.

Defensive Intensity

Last week, the defense looked unstoppable for the first three quarters. This week, the defense couldn’t have looked much worse than in the first half. They gave up 242 yards and could have given up more than the two touchdowns they did. But then something happened in the second half. We don’t know what the coaching staff said at halftime, but the defense came out flying for the last 30 minutes. The front seven stopped the run, and the secondary stayed close to the intended receivers. But once again, the defense gave up a late drive that tied the game. In overtime, they buckled down.

Carr-o-meter

After the win, it looked like Carr might have been battling a little bit of a cold. But nothing was going to damper his mood after getting his 100th career win. And his Wolverines won consecutive games for the first time this season. But in typical Carr fashion, he downplayed his own accolades, saying his wins were a reflection of the people around him and not his own ability. But his players appreciate all he’s done. They gave him the game ball, and Jake Long said that Carr may have even gotten a little choked up.

Hypemeter

Iowa fans made the Maize and Blue faithful look good. Even with a 22-game home winning streak on the line, the Hawkeyes never reached the decibel levels heard in the Big House against Penn State a week ago. Never before have 70,000 people been as quiet as they were in Kinnick Stadium after Steve Breaston’s 52-yard touchdown. Even so, the fans maintained a respectable noise level for most of the game. And by chanting “I-O-W-A” after every Hawkeyes’ score, we know for sure they can spell their school’s name.

Rush Yards

The Wolverines’ rushing attack was significantly hampered by Mike Hart’s first quarter exit due to injury. Michigan’s star tailback managed just 17 yards on five carries before he sat down. Kevin Grady filled in admirably, picking up 62 yards on 18 carries. But Saturday’s hero was Jerome Jackson. The junior fourth-stringer responded after having his number called late in the game, carrying for 44 yards in the fourth quarter and overtime. Jackson’s one-yard scoring run in extra time won the game. Overall, it wasn’t a great day for Michigan rushing, but there certainly were bright spots.