After every game of the 2005 season, The Michigan Daily’s football writers will take you for a ride in Lloyd’s car. The gauges all refer to different variables that will fluctuate from week to week, depending on how the team and fans perform.

Defensive Intensity is a measure of – you guessed it – how well the Wolverines manage to stop their opponents.

The Carr-o-meter is a rough gauge of head coach Lloyd Carr’s opinion of his team’s play, as judged from his postgame comments.

The Hypemeter provides our opinion of how well you, the fans, supported the Wolverines. Volume, consistency and awareness will all be considered.

Rush Yards is a straightforward measure of Michigan’s ground yardage total in each game. Since an effective running game is crucial to postseason success – especially for this year’s squad, which is loaded at running back – this statistic figures to be a consistently important indicator.

Defensive Intensity

It’s pretty tough to say. Eastern put up a whopping 134 yards of total offense. But it’s hard to judge the defense when the Eagles kept shooting themselves in the foot. Early on, it looked like many of the receivers were streaking open, but quarterback Matt Bohnet couldn’t make the necessary throws. On the bright side, the defense was falling to the ball and swarming the ball carrier – something it was not doing at the end of last season. Fans can only hope Michigan’s ability to handle Eastern’s spread attack is a sign that the Wolverines have figured out the difficult offense.

Carr-o-meter

Let’s be honest – Eastern is not a great team. It’s not even a good team. But there’s no denying that Carr was pleased with the way his team bounced back after the disappointing loss to Notre Dame. Any time a team blanks an opponent and scores 55 points, you know it was a good game. But Carr was happy about more than the way his team played. Both the offense and defense were able to put in many young players, and Carr wanted to make sure those young guys got some playing time before the Big Ten season started. Check.

Hypemeter

OK, so you guys didn’t throw stuff on the field this time. But that’s only because so many of you didn’t stick around long enough for anything to go wrong. We can’t entirely blame you for not being excited for this matchup, but still, the effort just wasn’t there. The student was littered with empty spots even at kickoff, something that isn’t acceptable even for a lowly Eastern Michigan team. Then when the game started, you didn’t even try to be loud. The Eagles definitely didn’t lose because they were scared of you guys.

Rush Yards

Another game, another leading rusher. With sophomore sensation Mike Hart not dressed for the game, fellow sophomore Max Martin was given the starting spot and didn’t disappoint. He finished the game with career highs in carries, yards and touchdowns while showing a good burst through the line of scrimmage. Kevin Grady had another solid showing and didn’t fumble for the first time this season. Once the game was in hand, the coaches were able to give carries to some guys who don’t usually play, including a few walk-ons.