After every game of the 2005 season, The Michigan Daily’s football writers will take you for a ride in Lloyd’s car. The gauges all refer to different variables that will fluctuate from week to week, depending on how the team and fans perform.

Defensive Intensity is a measure of – you guessed it – how well the Wolverines manage to stop their opponents.

The Carr-o-meter is a rough gauge of head coach Lloyd Carr’s opinion of his team’s play, as judged from his postgame comments.

The Hypemeter provides our opinion of how well you, the fans, supported the Wolverines. Volume, consistency and awareness will all be considered.

Rush Yards is a straightforward measure of Michigan’s ground yardage total in each game. Since an effective running game is crucial to postseason success – especially for this year’s squad, which is loaded at running back – this statistic figures to be a consistently important indicator.

Defensive Intensity

Sure the game was a loss, but the defense showed a marked improvement from last week’s effort against Northern Illinois. This rating would have been even higher, but Notre Dame’s first drive exposed some of the weaknesses in the Wolverines’ unit, including a lack of pressure on the quarterback and an inability to shed blockers. Still, the intensity and effort were there, and if the defense can play like this every week the team should be in much better shape. There’s still work to be done, but things are moving in the right direction.

Carr-o-meter

Lloyd Carr’s initial reaction to this loss was slightly more positive than most observers anticipated. Even though he was clearly unhappy with losing and Michigan’s many blown opportunities on offense, Michigan coaches seemed extremely pleased with the defensive effort. Whenever Carr uses the phrase “outstanding ball game” – referring to his defenders in this case – he can’t be too upset. The coach appeared confident in his team’s ability to bounce back, move forward and learn from its mistakes.

Hypemeter

You guys displayed the best attributes of a Yost crowd and its worst flaws, as well. You were hyped up early but taken out of the game with the early Irish touchdown. We don’t blame you for being quiet for long portions of the game since it was a pretty boring affair. When Michigan finally got back into the game, so did you, rocking the Big House hard. But this is when you also showed some immaturity, tossing water bottles and footballs onto the field and hitting football writers Gabe Edelson and Matt Venegoni. Luckily, Ian Herbert was unharmed.

Rush Yards

We knew the rushing offense would be in trouble when tight end Tim Massaquoi and right tackle Mike Kolodziej didn’t dress for the game. Then when Mike Hart went out with his injury, we prepared for a heavy dose of Chad Henne throwing the football all over the field. Kevin Grady did an admirable job filling in for Hart, but he did fumble the ball again and botched another handoff late in the game. But like we always say, the running back unit is deep enough to sustain injuries, even to an individual as important as Hart.