After two years in business, the South State Street CVS Pharmacy will be undergoing some minor renovations to add new checkout stations and a health clinic, MinuteClinic, which can provide basic health services.

CVS will begin the renovations in July, carrying them out at night when the store is closed, and plans to complete them before the end of the summer.

The renovations are part of a continued expansion of commercial drug stores into the downtown Ann Arbor area, as Walgreens has signed a lease to open in the former location of Michigan Book and Supply in 2014.

CVS spokesperson Mike DeAngelis said the store was renovating to keep up with customer demand.

“The business is growing and we needed to add the checkout stations to keep up with the volume of business that the store is experiencing,” DeAngelis said.

In addition to the checkout stations, the MinuteClinic will have registered nurse practitioners and physician assistants to provide treatment for minor injuries and illnesses, administer shots and vaccines and conduct physicals.

“The store is to serve the University of Michigan community,” DeAngelis said. “We are adding these features to enhance our services.”

Garry Turner, owner of The Village Apothecary, said he wasn’t concerned about the expansion of commercial drug stores in downtown Ann Arbor. He has owned his drug store since 1994 and owns two others, one in Jackson and another in Flint.

“I don’t think it will bother me that much, I’ll still be here,” Turner said. “Revenue goes up and it goes down.”

Turner said the level of personalized service that his store provides would attract customers, adding that his patrons always see the same faces when they shop.

“Unless you are really in love with dealing with corporate outfits and their whole line of thinking, (I think) most people would choose personalized service,” he said.

LSA senior Anusha Sharma said she liked the idea of the MinuteClinic’s accessibility.

“I think it is a good idea,” Sharma said. “It would be a convenient way for people to get immunized.”

“I prefer the national chains,” she added. “(They are) more reputable and often have more selection.”