Central Student Government tabled a proposal Tuesday evening requesting an audit of the University endowment for companies directly and uniquely responsible for ethical violations throughout the world during the final meeting of its 2014-2015 student assembly.

After a first motion to table the resolution failed, the legislative body voted on a second motion with 14 in favor of tabling the proposal, 13 opposed and one abstaining.

If passed, the resolution would have led CSG to ask the University Office of Investments to conduct periodic audits on companies the University Endowment Fund invests in to assess whether or not these companies are deliberately, directly and uniquely responsible for ethical violations nationally as well as internationally.

Engineering senior Andy Modell, an Engineering representative for CSG, and Education senior Michael Chrzan, a School of Education representative, wrote the legislation. Modell said it was written in response to the divestment resolution, which CSG voted against during the assembly’s meeting last week.

Modell said he was inspired by the hundreds of members of the University community who attended last week’s meeting, which he said showed him how concerned many on campus are about the University’s investments.

He said he thought his resolution addressed many of the concerns raised during last week’s meeting.

“Hopefully this way the University will be more responsible in regards to the ethics of their investments and students will be overall happy,” he said.

Chrzan echoed Modell’s sentiments, adding that the resolution is meant to be a measure that keeps the University administration transparent.

“I think it’s a really good first step towards what students wanted last week,” Chrzan said. “I think it’s a great first step for the University holding itself accountable and not putting it on the students to do it.”

The rules were suspended to allow the resolution to be moved to second reading, after which the resolution can be voted on. This normally occurs in the week following the introduction of a proposal.

Michael Yee, a School of Medicine representative, first motioned to have the resolution tabled because he felt the resolution needed to be given more time and thought. That motion was debated and then failed to pass.

Following the initial motion to table, several amendments were made to the resolution. These included calling for an audit to be conducted every three years by the Investment Office as well as for a CSG representative to meet with an official from the Investment Office to learn about the audit and its implications.

As amendments were being made to the resolution, Business junior Maddy Walsh motioned to table the resolution. The second motion was voted on and led to its ultimate tabling.

While those who voted for the tabling of the proposal said they felt similar to Yee, others such as Business sophomore Adam Weiss, a representative for the Business School, said they felt as though this was a subject that was important to representatives’ constituents and thus should have been addressed at the meeting.

“I see this as an opportunity to potentially prevent future divestment resolutions because this way we can show that we have done something,” Weiss said.

The resolution can be reintroduced, but that will be up to the decision of the incoming student assembly, which will meet for the first time next week.

During this week’s meeting, CSG also passed a resolution to donate $3,000 to The Accolades, a student-run awards ceremony celebrating arts organizations on campus.