The Central Student Government has proposed a resolution to make amendments to the University Statement of Student Rights and Responsibilities more accessible to the student body.

The resolution mandates that CSG approve all proposed amendments to the Code of Conduct, which CSG does not have exclusive control over in the current system. If it passes the CSG assembly during Winter 2014, a signed copy of the resolution will be sent to E. Royster Harper, vice president of student life, and other University administrators for approval.

Law student Jeremy Keeney, student general counsel to the CSG executive, said this modification would begin to mend the current system, under which both the Office of Student Conflict Resolution and faculty can submit proposed amendments directly to the Student Relations Advisory Committee without consulting CSG.

“The code is kind of viewed as a community standard, and really having the folks that make up the biggest part of that community — the 40-some-thousand students here — have a greater voice in the process could only help build the community that we have,” Keeney said.

Keeney said the proposed changes to the amendment process are a small but an important first step to increase transparency and student involvement in forging the code of conduct.

“This puts us in a place where we can voice our concerns before (an amendment) gets passed, whereas before SRAC could pass it and we wouldn’t hear about the change until it was too late,” Keeney said.

While the changes under current consideration are procedural, Keeney said the last part of the resolution will involve changing the rights and responsibilities of students as outlined by the Statement of Student Rights. The CSG assembly will address this further in February.