After a resolution to stand in solidarity with the people of Ferguson was introduced Sept. 16 and was voted down Oct. 7, a new resolution against police brutality was proposed during the Central Student Government meeting Tuesday night.

The new legislation resolves to stand in solidarity with the people of Ferguson, Mo., support the policy solutions outlined by an activist Shaun King and the Dream Defenders — a social justice organization from Florida — in their change.org petition and create a joint event with the Commission on Student Safety and Security discussing police actions.

In August, following the shooting of unarmed Black teenager Mike Brown by a white police officer, the people of Ferguson responded with protests calling for the end of racial stereotyping and police violence. The change.org petition asks U.S. citizens to end police brutality in response of the events in Ferguson.

Unlike the old proposal, which was authored by both community members as well as CSG members, the new legislation was written by seven CSG representatives. The current resolution is also shorter than the previous one.

“We tried to strip it down and get to the heart of what we were so keen on in the other resolution …We hope the moral compass of this assembly is on par with the values of this kind of resolution,” said LSA senior Kathryn Abercrombie, LSA representative and author of the new resolution. “So, we wanted to give the assembly something to work with.”

“We wanted this to be something a little bit more than just a sympathetic showing of support from the entire student body,” said LSA senior Michael Chrzan, School of Education representative, in reference to the change.org petition. He later proposed a campus event in tandem with the resolution.

The Change.org petition was one of the first started after the shooting of Brown and it calls for national change to protect people against police violence. Currently, the petition has more than 200,000 signatures.

CSG members expressed concerns with the resolution’s support of the seven policies within Shaun King and the Defender’s petition.

“Are the authors open to writing some different policy solutions as there may be some issues with these?” CSG president Bobby Dishell, a Public Policy senior, asked during the meeting.

Dishell had concerns about two of the policy solutions. One of the solutions states that chokeholds and chest compressions should be federally banned. Dishell pointed out that chest compressions are often used to save people’s lives.

Another solution in the petition calls for a third party business to monitor videos from cameras worn by policemen while on duty. Dishell noted that third parties are not always trustworthy.

CSG representatives had issues with another policy, which proposes mandatory forward-facing cameras for policemen on duty. The cost of the cameras, approximately $99 per camera, was seen as being too expensive for some towns.

The resolution against police brutality was referred to the resolutions committee. The legislation will be reviewed by the committee and then the assembly will vote on the proposal in the following meeting.