The Central Student Government’s assembly meeting last night was considerably louder than previous meetings because of the children brought with graduate students who addressed the assembly.

The group of graduate students came to support a resolution passed by the assembly last night that will support the removal of a requirement of a limitation on childcare subsidies provided to them by the University. Currently there is a restriction that requires graduate students’ spouses to work or study a combined 20 hours per week to receive childcare from the University. The resolution also pledged $35,000 to the implementation of program without this requirement.

Rackham student Katie Brion came with her three sons and spoke to the assembly about the spousal work-study requirement.

“We saw it as a social equity issue,” Brion said. “Even though it’s maybe a small number of students that are affected, we think they’re affected in a really disproportionate way.”

Rackham student Daniel Birchok also attended the meeting with his young daughter.

“The subsidy has been incredibly important for me,” Birchok said. “I wouldn’t be as close to finishing (my degree) now as I am without (it), and I wouldn’t have been to teach as well as I did last term because you’re pulled in so many directions (when you have children).”

Both Birchok and Brion had access to the childcare subsidies but said they knew other student-parents that did not.

“The people who are least able to absorb the costs on their own are the ones that get excluded,” Birchok said.

A proposal to create a weekly news report that covers the assembly was also passed last night. LSA sophomore Tyler Mesman, an LSA representative who co-authored the proposal, said the report will be sent to those interested through a group e-mail.

“It’s a great benefit to the students so that they can really be aware of what’s going on in the assembly,” Mesman said. “The students really should know what’s going on and what matters affect them.”

Another resolution proposed would allow CSG to appoint a representative for the School of Music, Theatre & Dance. Engineering representative Zeid El-Kilani, co-author of the resolution, said because the School of Music, Theatre & Dance doesn’t have a student government, it cannot appoint its own representative.

“Currently they don’t have a student government,” El-Kilani said. “That absence is two-folded. Right now they pay $7.19 to the Central Student Government and they don’t have representation on that and then again they’re supposed to pay $1.50 for the school (for a student government).”

El-Kilani added that Music, Theatre & Dance students are “losing out on services and a voice to the administration.”

The assembly also proposed a bill to award $1,775 to pay for a bus to take students to the U.S. 6th Circuit Court in Cincinnati on March 7. On that day, BAMN v. Regents of the University of Michigan will be reheard after being previously appealed. This case concerns the legality of Proposal 2, the 2006 amendment to the Michigan Constitution that banned the use of affirmative action in the admissions process at public universities.

LSA junior Ariam Abraham came to the meeting in support of the resolution. Abraham, a member of eRACism — a University organization dedicated to fighting racism on the University campus and advocating for affirmative action — said more than 80 students are expected to attend this event.

“So many students have expressed such a great interest in being part of this movement,” Abraham said. “It would be a great way to … re-energize social activism and student involvement in issues that directly affect (students).”