The Student Assembly of the Central Student Government held its shortest meeting of the semester last night, during which two LSA Assembly representatives were removed and four LSA representatives were formally sworn in, raising the number of sitting representatives from 40 to 42 and raising quorum from 20 to 21.

Lasting less than an hour, the meeting was well attended compared to previous meetings this semester with 23 representatives at opening roll call and 30 at closing roll call. Members also discussed the upcoming Lansing Blitz, a collaborative event with other colleges in the state to foster discussion of student issues.

CSG President DeAndree Watson said he was glad to see some of those vacancies filled and to increase representation within the Assembly.

“It’s extremely important that people who are elected show up to meetings,” he said. “I’m also excited that we have good relationships with the school and college governments who are standing ready to fill those vacancies when they do exist so that (we) can make sure we always have an adequate (amount of) students who are here representing the voices of the students.”

The Assembly has the capacity to have 57 sitting representatives, but not every school and college sends, or even elected, the representatives available to them. The University Medical School, the School of Public Health, the School of Natural Resources and the Environment, the Taubman College of Architecture & Urban Planning, the Ford School of Public Policy and the School of Music, Theatre & Dance do not send representatives to Assembly meetings.

Sean Walser, chairman of CSG’s External Relations Commission, attended the meeting to discuss Lansing Blitz, which is slated to take place in late March and will provide an opportunity for students from the state’s 15 public universities to meet with state legislators in Lansing to advocate for issues pertinent to students.

Walser said CSG is currently planning on spending $1,000 to pay for two University buses to take students to Lansing for the two-day event. Walser said he and other members of CSG are discussing logistics of the event with student organizations including the University’s chapter of College Democrats, the University’s chapter of College Republicans and the Michigan Political Union.

Watson said the event is an opportunity to provide a forum for students to voice issues they’ve experienced, and develop ways to overcome them.

“I’m really excited that we’re going to provide an opportunity for students to voice their concerns directly to the people in Lansing,” Watson said. “Hearing directly from a large group of students simultaneously will get that message to them loud and clear.”

Only one resolution, a proposal to hold a joint meeting between the University Council, a CSG council created in 2010 composed of delegates from different schools to connect the University Activity Center to other school’s student governments, and the Student Assembly, was discussed. There were also no speakers for Community Concerns, a portion of the meeting that typically lasts anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes and allows members of the University and Ann Arbor community to discuss issues.