The University’s C.S. Mott Children’s and Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospitals were recently showcased as two of the top urban infrastructure projects from all over the world in Infrastructure 100: World Cities Edition by KPMG International, an audit, tax and advisory services firm.

KPMG’s high-profile report chose the University as one of only 14 featured structures from the U.S. in the rankings, looking specifically for infrastructure projects that transform their cities into “‘Cities of the Future’ — places where people want to live and do business.”

Five regional judging panels, comprised of infrastructure connoisseurs from around the world, were asked to discuss and debate each nomination based on innovation, impact on society, technical or financial complexity, business-plan feasibility and scale.

Designed by HKS Architects, Inc., Mott and the Women’s Hospital received Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Silver Certification during construction, with verification from the Green Building Certification Institute that they are a high-performance green building.

Jackie Lapinski, project manager for the University’s Health System at Mott, said eco-friendly habits started at construction, adding that the building was designed to run effectively for at least 50 years.

“As we created waste, we made sure that we handled it very efficiently all the way through,” Lapinski said.

The LEED certification verifies that the hospitals have energy-conserving features, water-conserving features, reduce carbon dioxide emissions and improve indoor air quality.

Some of the hospital’s sustainable features, such as its “green roof” and recycled rubber floors, were vital facets of infrastructure that attracted KPMG’s attention, according to Lapinski.

“This is an award that we did not pursue — this is something where the industry went out and surveyed new construction projects to find places that were innovative and inspiring, and we feel very honored to be named as one of (the buildings) with those criteria,” Lapinski said.

Since the completion of the new hospitals in December 2011, Mott now offers 348 beds, 50 private maternity rooms and 46 private Newborn Intensive Care Unit rooms.

Totaling 1.1 million square feet with a 12-story inpatient wing and nine-story outpatient wing, the original expectations discussed for the new facility prior to the University’s Board of Regents’ approval of its schematic design were exceeded in bed count and overall spaciousness, according to their website.

According to Loree Collett, associate director of the medical center, designing the hospital with the intention of maximizing the number of rooms with windows was tricky.

“What’s unique about our building is when you look at the rectangular piece of land that it’s on, we had to be very creative to create a window view for all of our patients,” Collett said. “We knew how many beds we wanted to have in our hospital, and in order to accommodate that, we ended up with two curves in the building.”

The new children’s hospital is equipped with private inpatient rooms, each approximately 300 square feet with sleep amenities intended for use by parents staying overnight.

Along with an outdoor garden park, family workout room and indoor playground, Mott provides a new in-hospital Ronald McDonald House offering 12 rooms with private baths for visiting families.

Located within Mott, the Women’s Hospital birth center allows newborn intensive care and pediatric sub-specialists accessibility to mothers with high-risk pregnancies.

Tony Kinn, judging panelist for the North American region, said the judges look beyond specificities of the buildings to things such as need for the project and future benefits that can come from the project.

“(We wanted) projects that had a very cogent and tangible benefit for a given area,” he said. “It’s not just building a building; it’s building a huge benefit package for the citizenry.”

Kinn added that many of the qualities of the University’s hospital were conducive to community contribution, rating it highly among the other projects.

“I think it had the potential to expand — the benefits, the new technology — in a way that exceeded what other people were doing,” Kinn said. “I liked Michigan because it had a chance to keep expanding.”