For the parents who send their children to C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital, they can be assured their little ones are in good hands.

According to new U.S. News and World Report rankings that were released Monday, the hospital places in the top 50 in all 10 of the pediatric specialty areas that were used to evaluate pediatric hospitals.

“We are extremely proud that we continue to get high rankings from U.S. News and World Report,” said Ora H. Pescovitz, CEO of the University Health System and executive vice president for Medical Affairs at the University, in a press release issued by Mott on Tuesday. “We strive for an ideal patient care experience, so it’s wonderful to receive recognition for our efforts and to be ranked year after year among the nation’s best in all the specialties.”

Mott received its highest rating in cardiology, placing sixth nationally. The program boasts the second-largest congenial heart program in the U.S. and performs over 850 cardiac surgeries each year, according to the release.

Chris Dickinson, interim executive director of Mott and professor of pediatrics and communicable diseases, said the high ratings awarded to the cardiology department are in large part due to the excellence of the doctors and staff.

“We have excellent surgeons, and what’s really unique here is that they work really well and extraordinarily close with the cardiologists, so they talk constantly about the patients,” Dickinson said.

Despite the overall excitement with which the rankings were met by the hospital community, there were several drops from last year’s rankings. Cardiology went down from fourth in the country to sixth, diabetes and endocrinology went from 17th to 21st and orthopedics went from 14th to 33rd this year.

Dickinson said for the most part, year-to-year differences are simply the result of natural fluctuations, but they also give the hospital the opportunity to focus and improve in the specific areas. He added that each year hospital administrators conduct an in-depth analysis in the areas from which ratings dropped or points were deducted.

“If there was something that came up, for instance, our rate of a complication or something that was much higher than it should be then that’s a great window for us to look back at and (say) this is an area we have to focus on and do better,” Dickinson said.

To determine its rankings, U.S. News and World Report surveyed 179 pediatric care centers around the country. The 10 categories the hospitals were evaluated in were cancer; cardiology and surgery; diabetes and endocrinology; gastroenterology and GI surgery; neonatology; nephrology; neurology and neurosurgery; orthopedics; pulmonology and urology.

While Mott was the only hospital in Michigan to be ranked in all 10 of the areas considered, it failed to make the “Honor Roll” under which hospitals were included who had received high rankings in at least three of the categories.

Mott has consistently received high rankings for its pediatric care, most recently in February when it was named the eighth best children’s hospital nationwide by Parents Magazine.

Dickinson said this high ranking is just one way in which Mott can contribute to the tradition of excellence that the University holds itself to.

“The University of Michigan is a huge, big place and this is just part of what the University is all about,” Dickinson said. “ ‘Leaders and Best’ — you hear about it over and over again, it permeates the entire campus including the health system … this is just part of the same and we’re so blessed to be here.”