When will the wake-up call come? For the Michigan women”s basketball team, not a 21-point loss at Iowa in early January (its third in a row at that time), nor a disappointing loss at Purdue last weekend, to end a five-game winning streak, awakened the occasionally dormant Wolverines.

But Michigan coach Sue Guevara hopes that last night”s 62-58 loss to the Holy Cross Crusaders will raise her team from its slumber for a last push towards the postseason.

“Obviously we”re heavy sleepers,” an exasperated Guevara said. “It”s too bad there”s no place for heart in that boxscore, because my team had none.”

The return of senior captain Anne Thorius, sidelined for two games with an ankle injury, was not enough to lift the Wolverines. They were led by 11 rebounds from freshman Stephanie Gandy and 14 points from center LeeAnn Bies, although her offensive output did not make up for her failures on the other end of the floor.

“We”ve been eaten up in the last two games versus post players,” Guevara said. “That”s a big, big concern. Bies had to score 14 because she was letting up a lot more on defense.”

Another troublesome spot was forward Raina Goodlow, who did not collect a single rebound.

Michigan”s fourth nonconference loss came on an exciting night in the Big Ten that saw the fall of Purdue previously undefeated in conference play to Iowa in Iowa City.

Goodlow and the Wolverines will have to find a way to rebound. They face Illinois at Crisler Arena this Sunday. The Illini are a full game ahead of sixth-place Michigan in the Big Ten standings. The Wolverines defeated Illinois 68-57 in the two teams” previous meeting.

“I”m questioning where they are mentally,” Guevara said of her team. “I”m questioning the intensity of some people.”