Opening game keeps police busy

Concerns over thrown marshmallows were not the only things keeping police officers busy during Saturday’s opening football game against Central Michigan.

Department of Public Safety officers arrested five people and gave 23 others citations during the game, DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown said.

Those numbers are slightly above average, Brown said.

“It was a little high for the first football game,” she said. “But it was a pretty full crowd.”

Brown said one person was arrested for disorderly conduct, while the other four arrests were for minors in possession of alcohol. The citations included three for public urination and 20 for having alcohol in the stadium, she said.

According to DPS media log reports, one minor who was cited for alcohol was taken to the University Hospital Emergency Room for alcohol poisoning.

Phone call leads to suicide scare

DPS officers came to the assistance of a woman who spent an extended amount of time inside her parked vehicle on Friday afternoon. The officers found the woman after a caller informed them that her vehicle’s windows were rolled up and the car was parked in a semi-enclosed structure.

According to the DPS media log, the caller feared that the woman was attempting to commit suicide. But when police approached the vehicle it was discovered the woman had only been talking on her cell phone. No other problems were found.

East Quad window pane found damaged

DPS is looking for two men seen running away from East Quad Residence Hall down Willard Street early Saturday morning. The men, described as being white males approximately 6 feet tall and wearing light blue shirts and dark blue jeans at the time, were seen by a University Housing security officer throwing an object through one of the residence hall’s windows at approximately midnight, DPS reports state.

DPS Lt. Jesse Lewit said the object, which was never found, broke a small pane of glass in one of the lounge windows off of East University Avenue.

Camper scares walkers, packs up

A homeless man was told by DPS officers on Saturday morning to pack up his makeshift campsite, built in a forested area off Fuller Road near Huron High School. Lewit said the department had received a report from a frightened person walking by the campsite. After finding the man, police gave him 48 hours to gather his belongings and leave the area.

Students given Welcome Week citations

A total of 15 students started the new -academic year off by receiving MIPs from DPS officers on Saturday and Sunday nights. Brown said seven of those MIPs were handed out Saturday. According to the DPS media log, those citations included four at East Quad, one at Mary Markley Residence Hall, and another near the Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library. In addition, one man was cited while at University Hospital after allegedly being assaulted earlier that night. DPS is currently investigating the assault.

Two students given citations Sunday were transported to University Hospital for treatment, DPS reports state.

Officers arrest dancing man, 18

DPS officers on Friday morning arrested an 18-year-old man wanted on a bench warrant from the Ann Arbor Police Department. The man was found dancing on steps near a parking lot on Observatory Street known as Old Main Hospital at 5:11 a.m. DPS officers would not give the reason behind the man’s bench warrant.

Cyclists reminded: Register bicycles

Anyone who owns and rides a bicycle in Ann Arbor is required to register it through the city clerk’s office, according to University and city ordinances.

In order to aid students who aim to follow city laws, DPS is holding several on-campus registration drives during the next month. The drives will take place today on the Diag from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sept. 9 on the North Campus Diag from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sept. 16 on the Diag from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The city’s bike registration fee of $3.50 will be waived for anyone who registers through DPS.

Brown said that besides ensuring that students are following city laws, registering also helps protect students whose cycles have been stolen. “If by chance your bike is stolen and it is recovered, it is easier to get back to you,” Brown said.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Maria Sprow.