Football rivalry keeps DPS busy with 44 citations

While Michigan waltzed over Michigan State Saturday, Department of Public Safety officers had their hands full with the 111,542-person crowd.

Officers handed out 44 citations -32 for alcohol in the stadium, nine for urinating in public, one for throwing a projectile, one for ticket selling and one for urinating in public and alcohol in the stadium.

They also made 10 arrests, including six minor in possessions and two for ticket scalping. The other two arrests were suspects who were wanted on arrest warrants in other jurisdictions.

In addition, 21 football fans were ejected from the stadium for being disorderly, throwing projectiles and having alcohol.

At least one woman was hit in the head with a football.

Personnel from Huron Valley Ambulance treated 20 people.

Three others were transported to the hospital.

It was third largest crowd in Michigan Stadium history.

It was also the most number of incidents during a football game since the 1999 Ohio State game, according to DPS spokeswoman Diane Brown.

Man tumbles after caregiver pushes his wheelchair

A man in the Taubman Health Care Center reported he was being pushed by a caregiver Wednesday and as a result fell out of his wheelchair.

Missing vacuum returned by users four weeks late

A vacuum that was last rented Sept. 28 was reported stolen from South Quad Residence Hall. The vacuum was returned after DPS officers located the last group of students to take the vacuum.

Halloween turns sour for two who receive MIPs

Two students were transported by Huron Valley Ambulance to the University Hospital Emergency Room early Friday morning. The first was a highly intoxicated, semi-conscious but breathing person from East Quad Residence Hall. The second was taken from Bursley Residence Hall.

Another person from Bursley was transported to the emergency room early Saturday morning after passing out.

In addition, DPS officers cited two subjects for minor in possession of alcohol violations Thursday night near East Quad. One subject was cited for a minor in possession of alcohol violation in Mary Markley Residence Hall Friday morning, and another for minor in possession of alcohol Saturday morning in West Quad Residence Hall.

Backpacks stolen from Union and UGLi basement

Three backpacks were reported stolen Thursday afternoon, two from the Shapiro Undergraduate Library and one from the Michigan Union.

The first backpack was stolen while left unattended on a study table in the southeastern side of the UGLi basement. The bag was later located by a DPS officer in the northwest side of the basement. No items were missing, though the backpack did have a laptop computer inside it.

The second incident involved a book bag, described as gray and black, which contained several binders, a textbook, glasses and an MCard. The $50 book bag was not recovered.

Money was reported missing from the third book bag, which was stolen and later recovered in the UGLi. DPS has no suspects.

Man uses phone in S. Quad, steals resident’s money

A man reportedly asking South Quad residents to give donations to an area homeless shelter Friday afternoon asked two residents if he could use their phone.

While using the phone, one of the residents allegedly saw the man pick up his roommate’s wallet and thumb through it.

The suspect then left the area. Upon checking the wallet, the resident discovered $135 had been taken.

It is unknown whether DPS has any suspects.

– Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Maria Sprow.