DPS increases projector reward

The lack of information about the individuals responsible for the theft of 37 liquid crystal display projectors has led Department of Public Safety officials to raise the minimum reward amount from $500 to $1,000 yesterday.

Thirty projectors have been stolen since September 2000, seven of which have been missing since mid-December.

The seven-pound projectors are valued between $2,000 and $6,000. Some projectors can cost slightly less than $8,000.

Professors and instructors use LCD projectors to display computer presentations. The projectors are bolted to the ceilings of several classrooms throughout campus.

Anyone with information that could lead to the arrest of individuals responsible for any of the thefts should call the anonymous tip line at (800) 863-1355 or DPS Sgt. Tim Shannon at (734) 763-3434.

Computer stolen from mail room

An East Quad Residence Hall employee said Thursday that a computer that was received in the mail was stolen from behind the front desk, DPS reports state. The computer disappeared during winter break.

Markley dining room burglarized

A housing officer at Mary Markley Residence Hall said the dining room was broken into sometime early Friday morning, according to DPS reports.

The perpetrators had entered through the south entrance to the dining room and had torn down a custom made wall clock and some artwork. In addition, silk flowers had been ripped from planters and garbage cans were turned over. Housing staff said a preliminary estimate for the damage is roughly $1,000.

Unidentified man damages window

A brown-haired white man wearing a blue flannel shirt and blue jeans broke a window in West Quad Residence Hall early Saturday morning, according to DPS reports. DPS did not locate the suspect.

Outside archway door to West Quad shattered

The exterior archway door of West Quad Residence Hall”s Chicago House was shattered by an unknown person between 6:00 and 9:30 p.m. Saturday, according to DPS reports.

DPS had no suspects.

Sink ripped from bathroom wall

An unknown person tore a sink out of a men”s restroom wall causing extensive flood damage to rooms in East Quad Residence Hall early Sunday morning, DPS reports state. The flooding caused damage to third floor Hinsdale House.

The hot water supply to the building was shut off to stop the water flow.

Man not wearing seatbelt arrested for drunk driving

Campus police stopped a man who was driving a vehicle with tinted windows early Sunday morning, according to DPS reports. The man was stopped at the corner of South University Avenue and Church Street and the officer observed that he was not wearing his seat belt.

While obtaining the man”s driver”s license, the officer could smell “a light odor of intoxicants” over the smell of the driver”s cigarette. The glassy-eyed driver admitted he had been drinking. He underwent sobriety and breathalyzer tests and was taken into custody.

Compiled by Daily Staff Reporter Jacquelyn Nixon.