Following the fatal shooting of 40-year-old Aura Rosser of Ann Arbor by police Nov. 9, the investigation is now being conducted by the Michigan State Police.

Rosser was killed at a home on the 2000 block of Winewood Ave. in Ann Arbor. According to Ann Arbor police, officers were dispatched to the home after a reported domestic disturbance. Rosser reportedly confronted the responding officers with a knife and was shot once after an officer discharged a firearm.

Ann Arbor Police Chief John Seto provided information about the shooting during the public commentary portion of Monday night’s meeting. Seto said Michigan State Police will conduct an investigation to look into the issue further.

“My priority as your Chief of Police must be to ensure a complete and unbiased investigation is conducted,” Seto said. “This is essential to maintain the community’s confidence and trust.”

At the Ann Arbor City Council meeting Monday, councilmembers discussed how to improve the transparency after altercations and encounters between police officers and citizens.

Councilmember Sumi Kailasapathy (D–Ward 1), the council liaison to the city’s Human Rights Commission, expressed the Commission’s concerns to the Council Monday night.

“While they are patient about waiting to hear what the Michigan State Police has in terms of collecting additional information, they do want a policy discussion and evaluation,” Kailasapathy said.

Councilmember Jack Eaton (D–Ward 4) said he supported the Human Rights Commission’s take on the issue and for Council to review police procedures. The Human Rights Commission was established in 1957 to oversee civil and human rights for Ann Arbor citizens. The nine members of the commission are elected by the Council.

“We need to use this incident as a reason to review our policies,” Eaton said.

According to Ann Arbor Mayor Christopher Taylor, after the Michigan State Police establishes the facts, the case will go to the Washtenaw County Prosecutor’s office to be reviewed, which is the standard procedure for a police shooting.

“It ensures that the deceased, the officers and the community have a painstaking, independent and professional consideration of the events,” Taylor said.

In response to several public comments regarding the shooting, Taylor thanked the public Monday night for its commitment to finding out the details of the shooting.

“Ann Arborites are committed to seeing a fair and thorough investigation completed,” Taylor said.

Councilmember Stephen Kunselman (D–Ward 3) said he would like to see the results of the investigation before the public passes judgment on the incident, though he recognizes the public’s interest in them.

“I, as an elected official, will not kowtow to those kind of demands that treat our police officers as if they did something wrong first,” Kunselman said.