After years of pop at the top, rock is starting to make its comeback. This past weekend marked the launch of the 13th annual OzzFest. Complete with three stages, carnival games, an extreme pain side show and overpriced soda pop, Ozzy and his cohorts rocked the sold out Chicago show for 13 hours of pure metal. Already racking up heavy protesting from the American Family Association and www.nomanson.org, the summer tour opened with the Beautiful Creatures up first and Ozzy on last, the time in between filled with every top brand of rock variety from Linkin Park to Papa Roach, Marilyn Manson to Slipknot, Disturbed to Godhead.

OzzFest is known for its display of up-and-coming bands, debuting Marilyn Manson putting the shock back in rock, then Slipknot pulling out all the stops with its nine-man arsenal. This year”s, headliner of the Levi”s Stage was Godhead. Pulling in the after-lunch crowd, Godhead drew the masses to their set. Bassist, The Method, said the band wanted to “play the most rocking set we can, so all the kids get something to mosh to.”

Despite the daytime slot, guitarist Mike Miller said they were still able to maintain a crowd. “We”re not really a day band, we”re more into the lighting and the theatrics so it kinda takes a bit away from the show” the lesser known name of the festival still maintained a massive crowd of pierced kids with spiked hair cramming to get closer and singing along with every word.

The buzz around OzzFest soon became who are these guys, and why haven”t I seen them on MTV? With a video for their Beatles cover of “Eleanor Ribgy” due out mid-June, a piece The Method said “has taken our image and music and it”s deviating from the obvious, making us stand out from underneath Manson”s shadow not trying to make it look all creepy and outrageous. It has a point to it.” Drummer James O”Connor described it as “deep, just not us playing live, it”s really thought out, dense, emotional and incredible.” Godhead is due to become a household name in the rocker world. Unfortunately for Detroit, when OzzFest arrives in July, Godhead will not be playing, as they are touring with Rammstein.

But when Ozzy does arrive July 30 and 31 at the DTE Energy Theater, the festival is sure to rock in a fashion similar to Chicago. Set to play the main stage is Zack Wylde”s Black Label Society, Crazytown, rock rappers Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Slipknot, Marilyn Manson and of course, Ozzy and Black Sabbath.

Despite the many protests and petitions to congress to prevent Manson from playing, America”s favorite scapegoat promises to bring the noise to Detroit, complete with American hymnal opening music, crucifix of guns and an on-screen flash presentation of history”s favorite celebrities, including but not limited to JFK, Hitler, Jesus Christ and Charles Manson. If Detroit is lucky, Manson said he will include “a wholesome Bible reading. “This way, fans will not only hear my so called “violent” point of view, but we can also examine the virtues of wonderful “Christian” stories of disease, murder, adultery, suicide and child sacrifice,” he said.

Finally there is Ozzy, and despite the fact he is almost 60, he and fellow bandmates still speed through an 80 minute set with the energy that made them the worldwide legends they are. Complete with pyrotechnics, Ozzy”s trademark frog-leaps, cussing and reading glasses, expect only the greatest from the bat-biting metal legend.