The controversial situation surrounding sophomore quarterback Shane Morris has now garnered the attention of the U.S. Congress, after it was confirmed he suffered a mild concussion during Saturday’s game against Minnesota, but continued to play the remainder of the game. U.S. Representative Bill Pascrell Jr. (D-NJ) has submitted a letter to Big 10 commissioner Jim Delany, advising him to launch an investigation regarding decisions made in the wake of Morris’ apparent injury.

Pascrell’s Communications Director Tom Pietrykoski told The Michigan Daily that the congressman is a longtime advocate for those suffering from brain injuries, and believes that Morris’ case is a “particularly egregious example” of a player’s health being jeopardized. Specifically, Pascrell knew a student athlete who lost his life after prematurely returning to the field following an in-game head injury, and thus was inspired to take action.

Pascrell also leads the Congressional Brain Injury Task Force and works to raise awareness about concussions and other traumas, for both soldiers and student athletes. Pietrykoski said getting answers regarding Morris’ situation is a “big priority” for the congressman, emphasizing that concussions are always serious injuries.

“I strongly urge you to investigate the circumstances surrounding Shane Morris’s injury and the decision to return him to play,” Pascrell wrote. “Additionally, I ask that you reexamine the protocols in place and determine what changes can be made to improve them. I also urge you to establish penalties for violations of concussion protocols. Every concussion is brain damage and must be diagnosed and treated by appropriate medical personnel, who prioritize players’ health, safety, and well-being.”

Pietrykoski added that since the letter was sent today, Pascrell will wait for Delany to respond before making any further decisions. However, he said he’s hoping the investigation will result in a reevaluation of protocols regarding situations like Morris’, as well as establishing consequences for those who violate those protocols in the future.