University President Mary Sue Coleman continued to fall in the rankings of highest-paid public university presidents, coming in at the sixth highest-paid this year, according to figures released yesterday by The Chronicle of Higher Education.

Coleman, who was the highest paid president of a United States public university when she took her post as president in 2002, has slipped in the rankings for the second consecutive year. Last year, Coleman ranked as the fifth highest-paid public university president and in 2007 she was the fourth highest-paid executive among public universities.

For the last fiscal year, Coleman’s total compensation package from the University came out at $783,850. The compensation package includes $553,500 in base salary, $100,000 retention bonus, $75,000 in deferred compensation, $24,500 in retirement pay and $30,850 in supplemental retirement pay.

In addition to her compensation, Coleman has an expense account for business-related operations and travel. She is also provided with a car and is given full use of the historical president’s house at 815 South University Avenue.

Coleman’s salary is determined by the University’s Board of Regents who vote on the matter after an annual review process led by the Personnel, Compensation and Governance Committee of the Board of Regents.

In the 2009 fiscal year, Coleman received a 4-percent raise, increasing her base salary by about $21,000.

Though figures for the current fiscal year won’t be available until next year, Coleman is expected to fall in the rankings next year — having requested that the Board of Regents not give her a pay raise for the 2010 fiscal year.

However, in an interview this summer after Coleman requested the pay freeze, Philip Hanlon, vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs, told The Michigan Daily that Coleman’s overall compensation may change.

Hanlon explained that though Coleman requested a pay freeze, contributions to her retirement account or bonus payments may increase.

Ohio State University’s president, E. Gordon Gee, maintained his place at the top of the list of highest paid public university presidents with a compensation package of nearly $1.6 million last year.

The presidents of the University of Washington, The University of Delaware, the University of Virginia and the University of Texas system also make more than Coleman according to the list.

University of Michigan Provost Teresa Sullivan is set to assume the presidency at the University of Virginia on Aug. 1. However, at $680,000 in total compensation, she will make less than Coleman.

Though 2009 figures for private university presidents have not yet been released, the highest-paid private-university president in 2008 was Shirley Ann Jackson, who earned nearly $1.6 million for leading Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

In addition to her official capacity at the University, Coleman also serves on the Board of Directors for Johnson & Johnson and Meredith Corporation.

Though compensation figures for her service to Johnson & Johnson last year were not immediately available yesterday, Coleman received $202,631 from the company in 2008. Approximately $95,000 of that compensation was cash, while nearly $100,000 was given through stock options. The rest of the compensation came in the form of other compensation, like gifts to charity.

Compensation figures for Coleman’s service to Meredith Corporation were also not immediately available yesterday, though in 2008 Coleman earned $144,067 for her service. Of that amount, $10,000 was given in cash, while $42,000 was awarded in stock options and the remaining $92,000 was given in option awards.