Jack Johnson may have lit the lamp more than his Michigan teammate Andrew Cogliano at the IIHF World Junior Championships, but goals don’t equal gold.

Cogliano scored just one goal in the tournament, but it was the first goal in Canada’s 4-2 win over Russia in the gold-medal game.

Johnson scored three times and the Americans won bronze, but it all could’ve been different had a shootout gone the other way.

In arguably the tournament’s most exciting game, the North American neighbors met in a semifinal matchup. Though Canada easily dispatched the United States 6-3, during pool play, this win was not to come so easily. The game went to a shootout, with the winner earning a chance to play for the gold medal.

Both Michigan players shone brightest in the intensity of the shootout.

Cogliano scored for Canada in the shootout’s sixth round. Twice, Johnson was in the pressure position of scoring or losing the game, and both times he lit the lamp.

But in the end, the United States couldn’t keep up, and Canada won the game after seven shootout rounds when goalie Carey Price stopped Peter Mueller’s attempt.

Canada beat Russia, 4-2, in the gold-medal game. It’s the third-straight gold medal for Canada.

The United States faced Sweden again in the bronze-medal game. Even though the game was played in front of Sweden’s home crowd, the Americans pulled out a 2-1 win.

It’s the fifth time the United States has medaled in the competition, and the first since 2004.

For the tournament, Johnson had a 3-0-3 line and a plus-one rating. Cogliano’s line was 1-2-3, and he went plus-three for the tournament.