This offseason, football coach Lloyd Carr won’t only have to worry about replacing a talented class of departing seniors. Carr will likely need to find replacements for several assistant coaches as well.

Jessica Boullion
Jim Hermann: USA Today reports that the Dallas Cowboys contacted defensive coordinator Hermann. No further reports have indicated a job offer.
Jessica Boullion
Mike DeBord
Mike DeBord
Mike DeBord: Special teams coach DeBord is expected to return to his former post as offensive coordinator.
Jessica Boullion
Scot Loeffler: Loeffler, a University alum, is reportedly scheduled to meet with the New England Patriots sometime this week.

Offensive coordinator and tight ends coach Terry Malone has accepted the position of tight ends coach on the New Orleans Saints coaching staff.

In his fourth season running the offense, Malone came under fire from fans and pundits alike for his purportedly conservative play calling.

Malone did not return messages seeking comment.

Special teams coach Mike DeBord will become the offensive coordinator, the post he held during Michigan’s 1997 national championship season, the Detroit Free Press has reported.

The Chicago Tribune has reported that the Chicago Bears offered Michigan defensive backs coach Ron English the same position, and that English is expected to take it. He has not neither accepted nor declined the position.

A Bears spokesman would not comment on the potential hire, saying only that he had read similar reports.

If English takes the job, he will leave the Wolverines after three seasons of coaching safeties and cornerbacks. The coach helped to develop current NFL players Marlin Jackson and Ernest Shazor.

There may be more coaching defections in the near future. During a press conference last week, Carr said six NFL teams had contacted him asking permission to speak to one or more assistant coaches.

The next coach to jump ship may be quarterbacks coach Scot Loeffler. The University alum is scheduled to meet with the New England Patriots early this week to discuss coaching options, the Free Press reported.

Loeffler could not be reached for comment.

Many expected that the coaching staff would look different next season after Michael Rosenberg reported in the Free Press that Carr was going to shake up his coaching staff. In his column, published shortly after Michigan’s loss to Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl last December, Rosenberg said that at least one coordinator – Malone or defensive coordinator Jim Herrman – would not be in the same role next season.

USA Today reported that Herrman met with the Dallas Cowboys last month about their opening for the linebackers’ coach position. There have been no reports that he was offered the job.

Carr said he doesn’t resent his coaches moving on to coach professional teams.

“You always like to see people do things that are conducive to their careers that they really want to do,” the coach said. “They’re good men and they’re outstanding coaches.”

Carr said he considers the loss of coaches to the professional ranks a necessary by product of having a talented and competitive coaching staff.

“There will be a number of them that will have opportunities to coach in the NFL,” Carr said. “When they choose to do that, I’m happy for them if that’s what they want to pursue.”