The Ann Arbor City Council will meet Monday night to discuss several resolutions, including an agreement with Ann Arbor Recycle to meet student move-in needs. Council members will also discuss the establishment of the Ann Arbor Skatepark Advisory Committee and an amendment to a lease of the Longshore Park parking lot to accommodate increased popularity of the kayak and canoe rental business, Argo Canoe Livery.

Resolution to increase student move-out services

Last June, City Council approved a three-year contract with Recycle Ann Arbor to provide complete solid waste services at the corner of Tappan Street and Oakland Avenue during student fall and spring move-in at the University. The $35,000 contract includes staffing the site, providing roll-off container service and reuse options.

Recycle Ann Arbor is a nonprofit organization that provides education and services in recycling collection, processing and distribution within the city.

Following a community-expressed need for an extra week of services during the fall, the city proposed this increase to their original waste removal plan. If passed, the fall services will be extended to a total of 21 days. According to the contract, the city can adjust the numbers as needed. The spring move-in services will remain at 12 days.

It was also discovered that there was an increase in illegal dumping of Freon-containing appliances, exceeded the original contract’s expectations. According to the resolution, dumping levels may remain at this higher level.

This extension of services will increase the cost of the service by $15,000 per year.

Resolution establishing Skatepark Advisory Committee

Sponsored by councilmembers Julie Grand (D–Ward 3) and Mike Anglin (D–Ward 5), this resolution proposes to establish a Skatepark Advisory Committee to help Ann Arbor operate and maintain the Ann Arbor Skatepark, located at Veterans Memorial Park on Jackson Avenue.

City Council approved an agreement between the Friends of the Ann Arbor Skatepark and the City of Ann Arbor for the upkeep of the park in July 2013.

If passed, the Skatepark Advisory Committee would have nine members serving two-year terms. The members would be appointed by City Council, and would include at least one person from City Park staff, Washtenaw County Parks & Recreation staff and the City Park Advisory Commission. The committee would also have at least two people who are either director or officer of the Friends of the Ann Arbor Skatepark.

Resolution to amend a lease with Huron River Holdings, Inc.

Since 2012, the parking lot at 416 Longshore Dr. has been used to accommodate parking needs at the Argo Livery.

The original lease terms stated the city could use the parking lot only until noon Saturdays, Sundays and holidays between Memorial Day and Labor Day. However, the Huron River and Cascades are popular recreation sites for inner tubing and kayaking, resulting in the parking lot being used for overflow about every day of the week.

If passed, this resolution calls for the city to pay an additional $9,000 annually in response to the increased use of the Longshore Drive parking lot.

The terms of the lease will extend from April 18, 2015, to Oct. 25, 2015, with an administrative renewal option for two successive one-year periods.