At the Ann Arbor City Council meeting Monday, members will discuss filing an amicus brief with the U.S. Supreme Court in the DeBoer v. Snyder case, along with the construction of an airport solar installation and a resolution to approve zoning changes for a new Plum Market.

Amicus brief

In January 2012, Hazel Park couple April DeBoer and Jayne Rowse filed a lawsuit challenging Michigan’s ban on adoption by same-sex couples because they wanted to adopt each other’s children.

Several months after, the couple changed their suit to instead challenge Michigan’s overall ban on same-sex marriage at the invitation of U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman.

In March of last year, Friedman ruled that Michigan’s ban on same-sex marriage was unconstitutional, leading to a brief 24-hour period in the state where roughly 300 marriages were performed. However, the decision was stayed a day later, meaning no more same-sex marriages could be performed in the state pending an appeal by the state to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. In November, the Sixth Circuit reversed the district court’s decision, upholding the state’s ban.

Following the Sixth Circuit decision, DeBoer and Rowse appealed their case to the Supreme Court.

Earlier this month, the U.S. Supreme Court agreed to take up the case, consolidating it with three other similar cases from other states in the Sixth Circuit.

The Ann Arbor City Council will vote on Monday to decide whether or not Ann Arbor will be listed as a “Supporting Municipality” in this Supreme Court case.

By approving the listing, Council members will state that the city is in favor of legalization of same-sex marriage in the state.

Solar installation

Council members will also discuss a resolution to approve a license agreement with DTE Energy to build a solar installation at the Ann Arbor Municipal Airport.

If passed, the city will grant DTE the use of Ann Arbor city property to install and operate photovoltaic systems.

Photovoltaic systems, which consist of solar panels and solar converters, are sources of usable solar power.

If the resolution passes, the system will be installed in two phases. The contract states that the installation will be completed on or before December 31, 2017.

Plum Market Rezoning and Site Plan

The Ann Arbor Planning Commission has outlined a rezoning and site plan for the potential opening of a Plum Market on Plymouth Road.

Plum Market, which also has a store on North Maple Road, sells groceries with an emphasis on local and organic products.

The proposal is to rezone 2.96 acres from their designation as a Planned Unit Development district to a C3, Fringe Commercial district, which would permit the existing 25,000 sq. ft. building on the land to be used as a grocery store.

The plan also proposes the construction of a 4,639 square foot addition to the building’s north side, as well as an outdoor patio.

Construction costs are estimated to be $300,000.

The plan also recommended that the retail center be accessible to pedestrians. In addition, it encouraged mass transit access and a reduction of the demand for parking. Bicycle lanes and sidewalks were also recommended on both sides of Plymouth Road.