This week’s Ann Arbor City Council meeting will feature discussion on the implementation of last year’s controversial crosswalk ordinance, a new resolution altering the fees associated with dog ownership, and an updated countywide ordinance aiming to better control and eliminate harmful pollutants within the city through further restriction, among other zoning changes.

First Reading: Crosswalk ordinance

Following extensive discussion last year regarding pedestrian-vehicle interactions, Stephen Kunselman (D–Ward 3) is sponsoring an ordinance that would amend the crosswalk ordinance currently in place.

Current legislation requires drivers to stop for pedestrians if they are standing at a curb, curb line or ramp leading to a crosswalk. The new ordinance would amend that rule to include the phrase, “If the driver can do so safely.”

In December 2013, Mayor John Hieftje vetoed an amendment that was passed by the City Council to maintain the requirement that drivers stop for waiting pedestrians. The amended ordinance would still require drivers to stop, but would add language to protect drivers who are unable to safely stop before reaching a crosswalk.

Resolution/Ordinance: Dog licensing

The City Council will be presented with a resolution and ordinance pertaining to the fees and procedures associated with dog licensing in Ann Arbor. In its second reading, following little conversation at the previous meeting, councilmembers will discuss eliminating an explicit fee from the original dog leasing ordinance and adding different time length options for owners.

The new resolution will determine the fees that will apply to each corresponding license time. The ordinance is meant to offer citizens more options when purchasing tags and to allow the establishment of online licensing procedures.

Ordinance: Stormwater Management and Soil Erosion and Sedimentation Control

Water Resources Commissioner Evan N. Pratt has submitted a request to the Council to amend current rules and regulations surrounding pollution caused by construction in Washtenaw County, including the city of Ann Arbor.

The University is required to operate under Washtenaw County’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System and follow this amended protocol. Ann Arbor along with much of Washtenaw County is considered an urbanized area, meaning it requires a water permit, which is expected to be reissued this year. The amended rules, which have not been updated since 2000, are meant to better protect the environment from pollutants and any other adverse effects of stormwater runoff.