The football team had a bye week this weekend, but students found a pretty good substitute for their time in the student section.

In a span of 24 hours, students completed 118 community service projects in a span of 24 hours Saturday for the 10th annual Circle K Service Day.

Circle K International is a co-ed service organization sponsored by the nonprofit Kiwanis International. Their mission is to cultivate college students into responsible citizens with a commitment to service.

The University’s chapter’s Circle K Service Day is its largest event of the year. This year’s event was carnival-themed, and the Ginsberg Center, which served as a headquarters for the event, was decorated with red and white streamers, handmade posters, colored flags and a popcorn machine.

Circle K President Ashley Austin, a Business senior, said people come for as many or as few projects as they want to participate in throughout the day.

“The idea of it is just to expose all of U of M students to community service and show how much of an impact can be made in one day,” Austin said.

LSA junior Taylor Sullivan, Circle K charity awareness chair, said the organization is hoping to fundraise over $2,000 this year for The Eliminate Project, which aims to eliminate maternal and neonatal tetanus, a potentially fatal condition that results from soil spores coming into contact with exposed cuts or abrasions during childbirth.

The main fundraiser of the event consisted of throwing a whipped cream pie at five members of the leadership team at midnight. Anyone who came through the Ginsberg Center during the event could donate money designated to a member of the leadership team. The five members who received the most donations were pied in the face.

In addition to Circle K Service Day, the organization completes three to four community service projects each day throughout the year and focuses on leadership development and friendship.

“It’s really amazing how you can get together with a community of people who are interested in the same thing as you are,” Sullivan said. “We have a little token phrase, but it’s really true. People come for the service and stay for the friendship.”